2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 PM
MBateman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Coolant

I hope there is someone here that can help me figure this out. I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 sport with the 5.9L. One day I went outside to a parking spot full of antifreeze I came to the conclusion that it was the pump so I replaced it, the gasket, and went ahead and replace the thermostat, its housing, hoses and radiator cap; figured that'd fix it. But afterwards I went for a good drive and parked it, wouldn't you know it antifreeze again. I have no clue where this its coming from and can not figure it out. Will someone please help me!! Thank you

Old 02-14-2015, 10:12 PM
RedRaider

Im in the middle of a coolant leak repair right now. Mine had been leaking just a little bit for some time, but it was not constant. Couldn't figure it out and was driving me nuts! Turns out it was coming from behind timing chain cover. It was corroded at the upper driver side area. Can't see it without unbolting ac/alternator bracket and moving them out of the way. When you say you replaced the hoses does that include the bypass hose? Can't see the top of it either without moving ac/alt out of the way. From what I've learned, both of these are common points of leakage. I just finished tearing it all down today and will be puttin all the new stuff on tomorrow. Good luck to both of us!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Clean things off good, fill the radiator, start the truck, and let it idle. (rad cap on too.) wait and see. Losing that much coolant, it shouldn't be to hard to figure it out. Just as a guess though, I would suspect the tank seams, where the plastic tanks seal to the radiator core. Fairly standard failure point.

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:44 PM
RedRaider

I forgot to mention that it was a small leak for awhile, but when it was on the rack the other day gettin some new tires the guy called me into the shop to show me the substantial leak it had become. Got it home and 1/4 of the driveway was covered 2 minutes after stopping.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Where is the puddle on the ground in relation to the location of the motor in the truck? If the anti-freeze is sitting near the very front of the motor, I'd be looking closely at the radiator, water pump, timing cover gasket, bypass hose, thermostat housing, upper or lower radiator hose, etc. If its coming from the middle to rear of the engine, I'd be looking at freeze plugs on the side of the block, heater hoses or freeze plugs at the rear of the block.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You need to look and see where it's coming from! Go out for a ride and get it up to operating temp, Park it and wait a minuet then get a bright flash light and start looking underneath it. It wont be hard to find.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:21 PM
RedRaider

Unless its coming from upper driver's side area of timing chain

Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Well you will see it run down the side. Still you will have an idea where it's coming from.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM
MBateman

So I took yalls advice and turns out it is leaking around the timing chain cover. So yet again I'll have to tear into the front of the engine this weekend, thanks for the advice gents.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If you haven't yet, replace the timing gears and chain. You will like the results.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant