2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission slip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slip?

This is my first time experiencing transmission problems. I'm guessing this is transmission slip? It feels like it..... I just want to know if its worth it to get it fixed. It's a 98 1500 5.2

As I'm driving steady (usually between 60-70 mph, sometimes lower) the rpm's will jump up and down 200-300rpm until I start playing with the gas and change the speed, then it will go away.

I've had this truck for 6 years and I love it, it runs strong, but I've replaced so much stuff on this Ram in the last 6 years, that this is almost the last straw, and I'm considering just selling it and not putting another dime into it. This truck has fallen apart more than any car I've ever owned, and it's actually the newest and youngest vehicle I've ever had. Surprising.

It's not doing it all the time just a couple times a week, for the past month. Is this a quick cheap transmission fix, or basically a screwed tranny?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Cheap fix. Replace the throttle position sensor. Done.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM
HighwayDUB
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Cheap fix. Replace the throttle position sensor. Done.
I'll give it a shot.....Thanks.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:18 AM
HighwayDUB
Rookie

HeyYou Thanks!!!.....put a new one in and solved it no problem, and also took care of that shaky idle I've had for a few years. The TPS had crossed my mind a few times, I should of followed my instincts a long time ago lol....

Thanks again, my trucks runnin better than it has in a while!!!

Peace

Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 AM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by HighwayDUB
HeyYou Thanks!!!.....put a new one in and solved it no problem, and also took care of that shaky idle I've had for a few years. The TPS had crossed my mind a few times, I should of followed my instincts a long time ago lol....

Thanks again, my trucks runnin better than it has in a while!!!

Peace
Glad you got it fixed, congrats.

You'll know a trans slip for sure, its' known as a "flare" and basically your engine RPM shoots up when it shifts and you love forward until the slip stops.

Quick Reply: transmission slip?