2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck died after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mygoldn
I can't seem to get the right size for my spark plug to get one out. Anyone know the right socket? Tryed the one I had in my kit and it was to small. Think it was 5/16. Anything bigger seems not to fit cause of the metal shield around the plugs
Pull a plug wire and ground it w/ a screwdriver

1:21

Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

How would I go about doing that? And I do need to change the plugs soon so I'd like to figure out the size soon also

Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 PM
issakar
Captain

How would I go about doing that? And I do need to change the plugs soon so I'd like to figure out the size soon also
Last time I did plugs on a Magnum (like 5 years ago) i had to remove the heat shield things around the plugs. I don't remember the spark plug wrench size.

Watch the video I linked at 1:21 and brian shows you how to test spark with a screwdriver. Just be careful, don't get blasted

Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

Oh ok. Thanks. I also just read somthing about the timing chain. Could this be my issue? It just cranks and cranks. No fire

Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 PM
issakar
Captain

Oh ok. Thanks. I also just read somthing about the timing chain. Could this be my issue? It just cranks and cranks. No fire
check the simple stuff first (spark/fuel). I highly doubt the car wash crapped out your timing chain.

Engine needs 4 things to run: Fuel, Air, Spark, Compression. If any one of those is lacking, the engine doesn't run/doesn't run well. The car wash probably didn't affect compression, so we're left to look at fuel/air/spark.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

Oh Ok. I'm gonna try the screw driver test tomorrow. After I dig out of the foot of new snow : ). Il update once I get a chance to give it a try. Thanks

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the coil was already damaged and got wet, it could have shorted out = no spark = no start.

Coil is also very easy to get to and replace.

Check for spark, but I bet you're not getting any.

Make sure you change the oil after all of this. If you've cranked it over enough, that fuel you're dumping in the cylinders will seep down into the oil. That won't lubricate well...

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Twmays
If the coil was already damaged and got wet, it could have shorted out = no spark = no start.

Check for spark, but I bet you're not getting any.

This is my thought pattern, I think spark is the right place to start. After that, fuel.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

I'm going to try to test the coil tomorrow when I can see better. I hope that's all it is and it's nothing more expensive or hard to fix

Old 02-19-2015, 01:43 AM
beau680
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5/8 deep socket is the one I use on my 5.9 with great Sirius an it works just fine.

I don't think I have ever gotten a tool set without one of those special deep 5/8 just for spark plugs with the little boot inside to hold the plug in the socket

Quick Reply: truck died after car wash