2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does 1998 Laramie Have a 3rd Brake Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Maybe the cop was just having a bad day. Or maybe, the locality needs additional income, even from 'fix it' tickets. I am not sure there is even a fine associated with it if you get it fixed in time.... Still and all, a simply suggestion to "Fix that please." would have been more appropriate.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:32 PM
ArtShapiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe the cop was just having a bad day.
I'm not trying to prolong a non-technical aside in a technical forum, but:

Apparently, if I understood her tale correctly, he told her that she couldn't drive it and had to park the truck by the side of the road. When she asked what to do afterwards, he didn't directly respond but pointed out that he was about to drive away. And he did. I think this was an (unexpectedly) polite way of telling her to get it fixed while he couldn't be accused of ignoring the appropriate traffic law.

Art

Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ArtShapiro
I'm not trying to prolong a non-technical aside in a technical forum, but:

Apparently, if I understood her tale correctly, he told her that she couldn't drive it and had to park the truck by the side of the road. When she asked what to do afterwards, he didn't directly respond but pointed out that he was about to drive away. And he did. I think this was an (unexpectedly) polite way of telling her to get it fixed while he couldn't be accused of ignoring the appropriate traffic law.

Art
Can't drive it because the third eye was out? Seriously? Are the laws in California THAT stupid???

Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are the laws in California THAT stupid???
Where in these United States aren't they that stupid? Having lived here and there and other places, too, and traveled to many more, it seems that the only difference is that the laws in one state are stupid these ways, and the laws in other states are stupid in those ways.

It may have changed in the last quarter century or so, but it used to be that inoperative lamps were just a fix-it ticket. No fine as long as you perform the repair and take it to the pigpen to get inspected and signed off. But that state is so bass-ackward that they haven't even fully legalized marijuana, so the best thing to do is to stay away.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it incredibly difficult to believe it's actually illegal to operate a vehicle in California because the CHMSL burned out. If that truly is the case, you people need to take your state back from the lunatics running the asylum.

I have no desire to visit Kommifornia...

Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

In Texas, I have seen trailers being towed at night without lights going down the five lane freeway! Apparently, their miniscule brain says, "hmm....I'm only going 45 miles from Fort Worth to Dallas, and I-20 is lit up pretty good, considerin' it's rush hour, I can make it." I just pray that cops eventually find these morons. They seem to be on the ball, as I've noticed them nailing people with lights out, and I think if it's the brake lights (all of them), then yes, they should impound it. Isn't the law something like: if more than one brake light is out, it gets shut down, but just one out is ticket? I think that's why they went to 3 lights, so at least two are still working.

As strict as CA is, I can't blame them for doing this, as I'm sure they have a lot of riff-raff to deal with over there. However, I have zero desire to go there also because of their liberal politics. Shoot, I doubt if our trucks could even cross the border considering they're almost collector vehicles already. My Dad's 06 Kenworth can't go to CA anymore.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The Toyota I follow home this evening had a 3rd brake light, but no other lights working on the back.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
The Toyota I follow home this evening had a 3rd brake light, but no other lights working on the back.
Ain't it amazing that folks can spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle, but not a couple bucks on light bulbs?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by issakar
I find it incredibly difficult to believe it's actually illegal to operate a vehicle in California because the CHMSL burned out. If that truly is the case, you people need to take your state back from the lunatics running the asylum.

I have no desire to visit Kommifornia...
Amen to that.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Ain't it amazing that folks can spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle, but not a couple bucks on light bulbs?
The driver probably doesn't even know they are out. How often does the average driver check all their REAR lights? Never? Less often?

Quick Reply: Does 1998 Laramie Have a 3rd Brake Light?