2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM jump around when cruising

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM jump around when cruising

Howdy,

So i've noticed on the fwy the last few times I drove that my RPM will jump around quite a bit, almost like it's hunting. It seems to improve if I step on the accelerator. The issue seems more prominent while using cruise control. it seems to jump a swing of 200-400 RPM. I was kind of thinking I should check out my TPS. I have a Solus scanner, so it seems I should be able to hook it up and watch the readings for the TPS.

Does this sound like a direction to start in?

Old 03-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Largefarva
Professional

I'd say it's likely more of a trans issue, but with a solus you would check pretty much anything, those are a great tool. I'd check your rpm with the scanner, if it's stable then the issue is likely with your cluster, but if it's indeed moving around I'd lean towards a trans issue, you could check input/output sensors for that.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

TPS is notorious for that kind of behavior, though I am not sure the solus will update data fast enough to actually test the tps. Analog meter is actually a better tool for the job.

On the other hand, you could set the solus to do some data logging, and watch TPS while the problem is presenting itself. Please don't try and drive AND watch the solus. Good way to rearrange some body work. Either log it, and check the log, or, have someone else drive, while you watch.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

200-400 RPM sounds like it's going in and out of lockup. Cruise will fluctuate engine speed to keep mph.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
200-400 RPM sounds like it's going in and out of lockup. Cruise will fluctuate engine speed to keep mph.
it seems like it jumps around a lot though, which makes me worry about something getting burned up if I drive more than about 20 min, lol. Next time I drive the truck I'll try and snag a video of what I'm seeing.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Happened in my 5.9 jeep . Couldn't even use cruise control . Acts like a little hiccup slipping outta OD for a sec . I fixed mine with the TPS .

Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I had a similar problem. It was dropping in and out of torque converter lockup. TPS is cheap enough that I just went and bought one. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: RPM jump around when cruising