2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 PM
RicoRam15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issue

Hello, well I finally got around to changing my front brake lines and the driver side caliper, and I also flushed the whole system. I did this because the brakes seem to grab sometimes and nearly snap my neck, jk but they did jerk hard. The brake lines were old so I change them. I changed the front drivers caliper because it seem to drag and it also looked as if it had been overheated. So even though I changed the caliper out it still seem to drag as if it wasn't releasing enough. The passengers side turns a little more freely. The truck seems to pull to the right a little, but to the left more so. making me think that its the pass caliper. But the pass caliper compressed fine and bleed fine, so I didn't think it could be the problem. Before I go to changing it out, could there be another possible issue? Supposedly the brakes were serviced before I bought it 4 mo's ago. The records state that the calipers were changed out, the system flushed, and the rear brakes adjusted. So I'm not sure as to what else to check. Thanks

Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Did you replace the soft lines going to the calipers? Lube everything up good? (caliper pins, and guides) Turn, or replace the rotors?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:38 AM
RicoRam15
Default Brakes

Yea I lube everything up good, and I did replace the brake hoses not lines. I didn't change out the pads or turn the rotors because they were still fairly new from a recent brake job around 4 mo's ago.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 317 Likes on 299 Posts

Have you checked your front wheel bearings? Over time, they will wear and can cause side-to-side wobble of the rotor/wheel and cause the pads to brake pads to drag and overheat. BTW, is your truck 2WD or 4WD? Please update your vehicle information to reflect this info.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:32 PM
RicoRam15

4x4, I had the truck inspected when I bought it and there was a little play with the ball joint on one side. They said it wasn't bad enough yet to fix, so I'm only guessing that they would of seen if the bearing was bad. I also checked it when I did the work last sat. and there was no indication that they were bad. Also when I tried to spin the wheel (driver side) it was kinda hard to turn even after I replaced the brake hose and caliper. So I could tell that it was hanging up on the pads, and I then compressed the caliper a little and the wheel then would turn normal.
It's crazy 1. because one side will pull and the other side will work and then vice versa. 2. I'll have a good stiff petal and the back will seem to only be working. 3. I'll loose petal to a point and the front will start its thing of not working correctly.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

2 or 4 wheel ABS?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 PM
RicoRam15

2 wheel ABS

Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, ABS isn't the problem then.

How much difference is there in effort to turn the wheels after stepping on the brake? Are your brake pads wearing even?

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a thought i know you might not think so, but the rear brake shoes can can the truck to pull when braking, but it wont cause a "jerk" just pull to one side which will make you correct it with the steering wheel while braking. i would make sure the rear shoes are adjusted. they have self adjusters that are either reverse controlled meaning if you brake while going in reverse, or they are parking brake controlled meaning you need to apply the parking brake all the way a couple times.

may sound dumb but did you bleed all 4 corners? starting with rear passenger, then rear driver, then front passenger, then front driver? you wanna start with the corners the farthest away. and alos make sure the calipers are on the correct side by making sure the bleed valve is above the brake line, if its on bottom then the air cant bleed out.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:37 AM
RicoRam15

When I step on the brake, at times it will pull one way or the other and have a strong enough pull to cause me to notice a need to correct it. I did remove the calipers again to reinspect them and the brake pads. They appear to be wearing evenly, and the drivers side still doesn't seem to release the pads enough causing a drag. The drivers side caliper drags the same as it did before I change it out, so I didn't think it could be the problem as a defective part, but I'm considering replacing it just to see. I will be inspecting the rear tomorrow. I just wonder as to why the caliper would still hang up after changing it along with brake hoses and a system flush. I did flush the whole system bleeding them out in all four corners.

Quick Reply: Brake issue