2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

towing question and trailer brake wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
whitesquirrel45
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing question and trailer brake wiring

99 1500 4x4 slt short bed 180k mi. I'm bout to pull home a camper that is close to the max that my truck can handle...I think. Its about 30' long and supposedly weighs in at approx. 7ooo lbs. I believe my rig came stock with a tow package, 7 pin connector and hitch receiver. I have to travel about 45 miles and was wondering if it was gonna be able to handle it. I'm gonna use the torsion bar/sway bar kit for the trailer and I wanna hook up an electric brake controller. Is there a plug already under the dash somewhere, or am I gonna have to do some wiring? There is an empty socket down by the e-brake, is that it? Color is white and it has two wires.
It appears my leaf spring bushings are showing some wear as well. Will this be a problem?

Also, any suggestions related to towing this beast home are welcome.

PS. I know I have to turn off the overdrive when I tow anything.
Thanks!

Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
whitesquirrel45
Rookie
Default One more thing...

Whenever I take off from a dead stop it feels like my rear Axel kind of shifts backwards. Don't really feel it any other time. Drive shaft is tight. U-joints are good, had a mechanic check them and replace the bad ones. U-bolts appear ok, but cant really tell. Will this tow roast my rear end? Any ideas what this could be?

Old 03-12-2015, 12:09 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll be fine. just take it easy and it should handle it nicely. as far as the axle shifting, I doubt it is, but jack up the rear end, put same jack stands on the frame so your rear wheels don't touch the ground and see if your axle will move by hand. if it does, see what's loose.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

Is there a plug already under the dash somewhere, or am I gonna have to do some wiring? There is an empty socket down by the e-brake, is that it? Color is white and it has two wires.
If you have the tow package you will have a plug under the dash for the controller. It's tucked away under there about where your left foot would be while driving. When you get the brake controller there should be a connector with it that's fits the one on your truck. If it's not then you have to get one separately. That will be the only wiring you will have to do.
PS. I know I have to turn off the overdrive when I tow anything.
Thanks!
Excellent!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 04:06 PM
whitesquirrel45
Rookie

Originally Posted by chromed95
you'll be fine. just take it easy and it should handle it nicely. as far as the axle shifting, I doubt it is, but jack up the rear end, put same jack stands on the frame so your rear wheels don't touch the ground and see if your axle will move by hand. if it does, see what's loose.
What could it be then? It doesnt appear to be as bad or even a problem at all with weight in the box. Any ideas?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

Spring bushings? Bad u-joint?

Old 03-12-2015, 06:09 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find out what the gross weight of that camper is! 7k could be the dry weight. you get pulled over by dot, they will check the gvw of the camper, and nail you for over weight.

as far as the axle twisting, youre gonna get some axle wrap, and with 180k you leafs are gonna be pretty worn out, making axle wrap worse.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Go on Ebay or other sites and you can find which ever style of brake controller you want and then as Moparite said also get the adapter that is made for your year of truck. Most places sell the controller and cable together. I seem to remember my wires being more in the gas pedal area but it is under there and it has more wires than just 2.

Yes most defiantly use the weight distribution/sway control from the trailer it will help you control the trailer better. As far as DOT pulling you over I have never been stopped towing a personal trailer. But I do know they can. Look on your hitch and see what it is rated for. Is it a class 4 or 5 hitch?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On my 97 the plug for the brake controller was a black rectangle with 4 wires. If I remember correctly, the wire colors were red, red, blue, and black. One red wire was about 16 gauge and the other was about 10 gauge. It was tucked up pretty high just to the left of the steering column.

Last edited by frankie_b_jr; 03-13-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: "smart" phone hiccup
Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 AM
whitesquirrel45
Rookie

My tow was a success! The only problem we had was getting it out of the guy's yard. He had parked it in the grass and it hadn't moved in a year or so. The truck handles it very well, no problems!
Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
On my 97 the plug for the brake controller was a black rectangle with 4 wires. If I remember correctly, the wire colors were red, red, blue, and black. One red wire was about 16 gauge and the other was about 10 gauge. It was tucked up pretty high just to the left of the steering column.
Mine was a blue connector located on top of a silver box to the left of the column. I love "plug and play" toys. Got a hell of a deal on the sway bar/distribution hitch, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. Very pleased and can't wait to get down to the river. I'll post a pic later, the camper really "dwarfs" my red baby girl.
-Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: towing question and trailer brake wiring