2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram With Serious Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Mikeshannon_17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram With Serious Issues

Have a 1999 5.9L 4x4 that a couple weeks ago became possessed. For starters fuel gauge stopped working, Transmission went into limp mode and battery goes down after a couple days if I don't drive it. Installed new battery, no change, Limp mode codes were Governor Pressure Solenoid and Sensor, replaced both same codes after replaced still in limp mode. Fuel gauge will show full tank for about a minute after startup but then moves to empty. I had alternator checked it is fine. I am about ready to put a bullet in its head and call it a day. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Check the connector on the bottom side of the power distribution center.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Have to codes reappeared ?

Faulty sending unit on the pump . They wear out by design . Pump is still fine , I've ran them months before finally getting tired of guessing the fuel level . New pump is really the best solution .

Old 04-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Did you clear the codes when you replaced the parts?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Largefarva
Professional

Maybe you're best to take it to a trustworthy shop, it's kinda hard to pinpoint electrical issues unless you know what you're doing.
That being said, for the fuel gauge it's most likely the sending unit, tough to tell if it's that or the cluster unless you have a scanner that can read live data.
Same with the trans, you'd need to check the wiring from the sensors to the module for continuity, which again won't tell you much without a proper scanner to read live data. You could actually have an internal trans issue or a failed module causing this.
The draw may also be a pain to find unless you have a low amp inductive amp clamp. You can try an old method Ive seed before on older cars, it may work but I doubt it.
Take off the battery negative terminal and use a single cable test light to complete the circuit, meaning clamp the clamp to either the post or terminal, and somehow attach the tip to the remaining end. If the light lights up, something is drawing. Now you'll need to pull fuses one by one until the light goes out, when it goes out you have found your draw source. Either that or you've found a module that is staying on because the test light is keeping it awake.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:38 AM
kirbyj

check grounds , all you can;and i have found several factory radios that have something grounded in them which causes all kinds of feedback into the puter systems

Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

battery goes down after a couple days if I don't drive it.
I had alternator checked it is fine.
How was it checked? There are diodes(multiple) in the alternator that if one goes bad will create a draw. You have multiple issues so address one at a time.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Mikeshannon_17

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you clear the codes when you replaced the parts?

I did clear codes but as soon as it was put into drive the codes came back

Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Mikeshannon_17

Auto parts store had a hand held checker and I asked if it was able to check the diodes in it and not just whether or not it was charging and he said it did

Old 04-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

It will charge with bad diode just won't have that high of an output. Pull the large wire(battery lead) off the alternator and check if you still have the drain on the system.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram With Serious Issues