2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine drowning in fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:11 PM
jrcobb1994
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine drowning in fuel

Update/Better back story:

Several months ago i purchased this truck and 2 weeks later the in the tranny imploded. It sat during the winter months and i started it about once a week and she ran smooth. I picked up a used tranny and installed it, when i installed it, i replaced the flex plate because it was the wrong one and replaced the crank sensor because the old one was cracked. When i was in there i noticed the oil pressure sensor wire was trapped in the distributor cap, I "wiggled" it out and tightened the cap. Once the tranny was fully installed i tried starting it and it blew a fuse. I found the short, it was the o2 sensor wire to the pig tail, i replaced the sensor. I then started it up and it ran like crap. It ran as if the timing was off with short bursts of power. I have since replaced the cam sensor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and coolant sensor. Still runs like crap. I readjusted the distributor to the tdc marks on the crank. i tried fuel syncing it but my scanner is having trouble communicating with the PCM...

Original post:

So i beleive my truck is burning extremely rich. I have a steady miss, and decided to replace cap/rotor,wires, pickup coil, and crank sensor. I did take out the plugs and found them to be jet black with lots of carbon. So i decided to use a spark plug sand blaster to clean them and popped them back in.

I started her up and for a few seconds it was smooth, then she went back to her old ways. I ran her like this for about 10 minutes then took them back out. More carbon.. but that wasnt the only thing i noticed, the smell of nonburnt/still burning fuel was coming from the plugs/holes.

So where do i start now, its not just one fuel injector stuck open, all the plugs are like this. Its also not the o2 sensor because i just replaced that too.
I have access to Pegisys Diagnostic computer but i hooked it up and there are no codes and the computer isnt wanting to communicate(stupid obd1).

Im lost....

Last edited by jrcobb1994; 04-17-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:12 AM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by jrcobb1994
So i beleive my truck is burning extremely rich. I have a steady miss, and decided to replace cap/rotor,wires, pickup coil, and crank sensor. I did take out the plugs and found them to be jet black with lots of carbon. So i decided to use a spark plug sand blaster to clean them and popped them back in.

I started her up and for a few seconds it was smooth, then she went back to her old ways. I ran her like this for about 10 minutes then took them back out. More carbon.. but that wasnt the only thing i noticed, the smell of nonburnt/still burning fuel was coming from the plugs/holes.

So where do i start now, its not just one fuel injector stuck open, all the plugs are like this. Its also not the o2 sensor because i just replaced that too.
I have access to Pegisys Diagnostic computer but i hooked it up and there are no codes and the computer isnt wanting to communicate(stupid obd1).

Im lost....
How old are the plugs? And what plugs are they?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:22 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is the 02 sensor, and what brand did you buy ?.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Not a fan of cleaning spark plugs . If one or two aren't so good , it can cause a rough running engine , resulting in poor performance and carboned plugs on all . I guess one possibility , however , I'm a little inclined to point at a weak coil also . Have you checked the spark to see how strong it looks , and the color of spark ? Could be worth checking into .

I could also see a vacuum leak maybe causing this . Check all your lines , make sure nothing got unhooked along the way . Gauge it if you can and see if it holds steady .
Plenum is a huge culprit for a leak so if you haven't done it , look into it also .

Another thing that comes to mind it the exhaust . Mainly the cat . A restriction could also cause issues similar to what you describe . If your stuff is original , you could remove the upstream 02 and see if , other than the noise , it runs any better .

Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

The boys made some good points .

If you replace any parts , it's a bonus to know the brand name on everything , and if before or after the problems arose .

Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is your truck?
I assumed it was a 1994 from his name , I hate assuming , lol

Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Maybe he was born in 94?

Really should have that info (truck info, not birthdate) in his sig.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe he was born in 94?

Really should have that info (truck info, not birthdate) in his sig.
LMAO , you know your getting old when you don't think of people being born in the same year range as your truck .

Old 04-03-2015, 01:40 PM
jrcobb1994
Amateur

Sorry for the late response,(i was born in 94) the truck is a 1994(built in 93) dodge ram 1500, champion plugs ( brand new as of hour ago) old ones were the same brand. all the sensors i bought are duralast stuff. O2 sensor is a week old.

Quick Reply: Engine drowning in fuel