2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sticker under hood explanation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticker under hood explanation

I know this is kinda of dumb question but this is my first dodge truck. And I'm wondering exactly what is in the truck. The sticker from the dealership where it was bought says the customer added a power package. And under the air filter is a duel barrel holly throttle body. With a spacer it looks like. Is this stock or what? And the sticker says the transfer cause is a HD with on the fly 4hi. I'm scared to try 4hi while moving. And I'm just curious about the rest of the truck. And what exactly does the lock up converter do cause it seems the truck has about 8 gears. When I know it's not If everything is standard or if anything is added stuff that was payed extra for. The truck has 56k on it so it's pretty cherry. But the guy who had it bought it new and couldn't tell me alot about the 20 year old truck

Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrox44
I'm scared to try 4hi while moving.
Don't be. Just make sure it's on a low traction surface when you try it. Works fine. Or splatters the case all over hell's half acre.

No, not really. What splatters the case is failure of the funky little snap ring in the transfer case tail housing. The transfer case saver is darn good and darn cheap insurance. You want one. Not having one can lead to this. Which sucks a lot.

And what exactly does the lock up converter do cause it seems the truck has about 8 gears.
The lockup converter has a clutch in it that, when applied, essentially ties the engine crankshaft directly to the transmission input shaft -- eliminating both waste power and torque multiplication in the torque converter. All 2nd gen Rams with automatics have lockup converters.

You've got three direct forward gears plus overdrive, and a lockup converter, so if you've got a sensitive butt in the seat you'll feel the action of the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-OD shifts, then converter lockup. If you've got OD disengaged, you'll get 1-2, 2-3, and converter lockup.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 PM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that explains alot actually. What about the holly throttle body? Is that factory or did someone have that done? Cause the guy I got it from was really elderly. And bearly drove it. The reasom he sold it. Was because he had back surgery And can't get in it. he bought it new in 94. 1 owner

Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the holly throttle body?
The stock part is a Holley, so there's probably nothing too interesting about it. If it's been slicked up what you'll usually see is that the superfluous bosses on top are gone, the bores are polished and radiused, and maybe cut oversize with matching butterflies.

Quick Reply: Sticker under hood explanation