2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain help and mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Timing chain help and mod questions

Ok so i have done my plenum about 5000 miles ago and i didn't do the timing chain at that time which was a real bone head move on my part so i need a new radiator so while i have the old radiator out i figure i may as well change water pump and since im there the timing chain so i have a new radiator a new fan clutch new water pump timing cover gasket double roller gears and chain is there anything else i should get? i have a 190 and a 180 tstat not sure which one to use? also a few questions on the chain from what i read most threads say to align the dots then remove the chain and gears? how do i align them? and which style puller will be the best? seems like a pretty straight forward job correct? and few more questions i just ordered some 4.56 front and rear gears and a sct tuner my truck has jegs offroad y pipe a open style air cleaner only run 91 octane and has 33s will it be worth it to get a 50mm throttlebody ? sorry if im all over the place my brain is all used up this week any input on the timing gears is really the most important to me im gonna start pulling it apart in the morning thanks in advance yall are the reason i keep this truck

Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If you live in a cold climate, stick with the 195 stat. Ooops. Strike that. You are getting a tuner, so, go with the 180 stat.

When you did the plenum, did you replace the bypass hose from the water pump, to the intake? If not, replace it now. Aside from that, sounds like you are all set in that department. (couple gallons of coolant would be good to have on hand, and also stuff to change the oil, as you WILL get coolant in the oil.....)

To align the marks, I just use a big crescent wrench on the crank snout, and turn it till they line up nice. Then I like to move the crank around a bit, so there is pretty much equal slop on either side of the chain.

Three jaw pull works great on crank gear. (cam gear too, but, I usually just pry a bit with a screwdriver, and off it comes.)

Need another puller for your harmonic balancer. They changed designs over the years, so, need to find out if your crank pulley bolts on, or is part of the balancer. If its part of the balancer, the three-jaw feller will work just fine. If it unbolts, then you need the 'other' kind of puller, that bolts to the balancer. Align your dots with crank at 12, cam at 6. Put the new set on EXACTLY the same way. Do NOT move anything. (more than a couple degrees one way or the other, to get things to line up properly.)

Most folks really like the improvements to be had from the 50mm TB. Go for it. Don't buy one of the high-dollar fellers though, grab one off ebay for like 150 bucks.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:59 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie

excellent thats what i was looking at the ebay one main reason im doing this is truck is a real slug its a qclb 4x4 with 5.9 but it will not tow my tent trailer so wife and i were gonna pick up a 2000's dmax but i figured i would drop 2500 or so in this see if it makes a difference if it does not up on the selling block it goes

Old 04-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by CoryVolkenant
excellent thats what i was looking at the ebay one main reason im doing this is truck is a real slug its a qclb 4x4 with 5.9 but it will not tow my tent trailer so wife and i were gonna pick up a 2000's dmax but i figured i would drop 2500 or so in this see if it makes a difference if it does not up on the selling block it goes
Those 4.56s will definitely help with the towing!

Old 04-11-2015, 02:40 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of our harmonic balancers require a special Chrysler puller, the 3 jaw type didn't work on mine. They have them at Autozone for free rental with a deposit.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CoryVolkenant
one main reason im doing this is truck is a real slug its a qclb 4x4 with 5.9 but it will not tow my tent trailer
Have you got a "Factory Authorized Software Update" sticker on your PCM, by any chance?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:29 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie

Originally Posted by unregistereduser
have you got a "factory authorized software update" sticker on your pcm, by any chance?
not that i can see

Old 04-11-2015, 07:32 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie

So today i got the radiator out the water pump all hoses out and timing cover off and new gears put on tomorrow i hope to get it all back together then off to get the gears put in this week by my brother in law and my tuner should be here friday im going to order the 50mm throttle body tonight and order a tune and hope to be back on road next week i really hope this thing can get out of its own way now ( sorry about all caps just realized and do not want to retype)

Old 04-12-2015, 10:27 AM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie

Ok before i get started 2 more questions i bought a large tranny cooler rated for 20,000lbs i was gonna put it in when i do all this but when i pulled radiator i noticed there was factory cooler so do i just add this one and have 2 coolers? Or is that to much and will cause lower line pressure? Do i return it and not put it on? Or do i remove the factory one and add this one? Or do i skip ruining it thru radiator and run thru both coolers? And second question is when towing to you want the truck in od or not in od? I have been doing it not in od?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

NO od when towing! I am assuming you only have the cooler in the radiator correct? You can run both and it be fine(this is how the factory did it) but there has been many discussions on the this. If you are in a cold climate it will take longer to get up to operating temp.

Quick Reply: Timing chain help and mod questions