2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gear just quit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:13 PM
01RedRamOffRoad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear just quit

Hi everyone have gotten a lot of answers to questions in the past on forums but the worst has finally happened and I'm torn on what to do so I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 and it is my winter dd and about a month ago I drove to work about 6 miles with no problems n no problems really before either. I had put a bottle of Lucas tranny fixer in a couple days before n was a little overfull but when I left work that day I drove away and pulled out onto the street and it just never shifted to 2nd so I messed with it to make it home then drove it 5 miles to my garage to switch vehicles so whatever happened it was very sudden, unexpected, and I didn't keep driving on it. 1st, 3rd, n 4th work fine it just won't shift to 2nd unless I really make it then when in 2nd it has no power and feels like it slips. So what I am asking is really if anyone knows what could be wrong and if anyone thinks it is worth fixing or my other option is to buy a new tranny from monster transmission. Any answers are greatly appreciated really want to get my truck running again. Thx.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

What's your fluid look like?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:44 PM
01RedRamOffRoad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still was decently red was starting to lose its color and it doesn't have an burnt smell but after the Lucas it looks more red, it also has 143k I have driven about 30k no prior information looked clean shifted good, always knew these trannies were junky but for how what has happened I think it may be the governor pressure solenoid and sensor but I plan on keeping this truck forever and want to go the route of brand new warrantied tranny just to call it good but I feel I have a good if not decent one I can fix for cheap, I planned on buying new pan w/ plug, gasket, solenoid, sensor, filter, and fluid see what happens but I guess for all I know the tranny is shot.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Unplug the 8 pin connector about half way back on the drivers side of the trans. Go for a drive. Keep in mind, you will have zero automatic function. You will have to start in first, and shift when appropriate. (and downshift too.) You will not have O/D, or TCC, so, don't go far. If it shifts good when you tell it to, into the gear you tell it to, then just replacing the electronics should fix it. If it doesn't..... well.... probably rebuild time.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear just quit