2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifter will not move out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Are you moving the lever down far enough? (and did you hook the linkage back up? )

Old 05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
nz87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you moving the lever down far enough? (and did you hook the linkage back up? )
Yes. I can go through all the gears and nothing. It soes make a weird noice when i bring it back to park.

Yes the linkage is connected.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Got someone around that you REALLY trust? Have them sit in the truck, hold the brake, while you stick it in gear, (from underneath.) that way you should be able to feel the detent... and be sure you are in something that should move the truck.

What year is your truck? (you should put that info in your sig, and profile.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 PM
nz87

Got someone around that you REALLY trust? Have them sit in the truck, hold the brake, while you stick it in gear, (from underneath.) that way you should be able to feel the detent... and be sure you are in something that should move the truck.

It's a 1999 Ram 2500 8.0 Gas I just put it in my profile, but I didn't see a edit button for my sig. I actually already tried what you are suggesting, before I got the shifter to move, and it didn't engage in any gear. I was hoping that whatever was holding the shifter was disabling the transmission from engaging, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hows trans fluid level?

If that is ok, unplug the 8 pin connector about halfway back on the drivers side of the trans, try it again. (keep in mind, this disables ANY automatic function of the trans, and also TCC, and O/D.)

Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM
nz87

THIS^^^ solved my problem.

In filling out my profile I remembered my truck was a 4x4. I remembered that weird noise was something that happens with 4x4s sometimes. It was in 4x4 neutral... In trying to fix the shifting problem I must of fiddled with the 4x4 and I had the dash kickboard covering it, so I didn't even think about it. So the transmission engages in all gears now.

Now I can get back to worrying about that small broken piece in the column. I feel like I could just rig something up to hold it open at all times. Might stop in a dealership and see what they say. I figure it's either $3 part or as mentioned "not user repairable."

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gotta love the easy ones.

Check local junkyards, see if you can find the whole column.

Where ya at?

Quick Reply: Shifter will not move out of Park