2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wanting a turbocharged 318...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting a turbocharged 318...

Okay, here goes. I have an extremely tired 318 out of my '99 Dodge Ram. Now this engine has become sentimental to me. The engine has always been good to me. So I want to build her up. My current plan is to grab a set of van exhaust manifolds, which exit in the middle, and rig a pair of turbos from a 2.6L engine on each side, both run by a two-to-one through a Cummins diesel intercooler and into my intake. My current questions are:

How hard is it to tap pressurized oil, especially on BOTH banks?

I know little about turbos. But, admittedly, just a little. Will a 2.6L turbo for each bank be good?

This is to be a future rebuild. A FULL rebuild, with no cuts crossed. Right now, she is parked. I asked too muck from this engine, and she died, but I love it and I know she can be more...

Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Can get pressurized oil from the oil pressure sensor. Some appropriate plumbing parts, and away you go. I would be tempted to use hard line though...... and be careful of routing.

There is no easy way to get pressurized oil from the heads. Only oil up there comes up thru the pushrods.

Think the only problem might be, oil will want to take the path of least resistance, so, if one turbo flows easier than the other, that's the one that is going to get most of the oil. Will the other one get enough? Don't know.... would almost half to put pressure gauges on each one... just to be sure.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Can get pressurized oil from the oil pressure sensor. Some appropriate plumbing parts, and away you go. I would be tempted to use hard line though...... and be careful of routing.

There is no easy way to get pressurized oil from the heads. Only oil up there comes up thru the pushrods.

Think the only problem might be, oil will want to take the path of least resistance, so, if one turbo flows easier than the other, that's the one that is going to get most of the oil. Will the other one get enough? Don't know.... would almost half to put pressure gauges on each one... just to be sure.
Hmmm, good point. I had hoped there was a point that I could drill and tap, but, what do I know?

Old 05-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You didn't say where you are putting the turbos. I think a turbo from a 2.6 is a bit small. There is a lot more to consider than just the size. Might want to take a look at the sd concepts page for ideas. I was considering a remote set up. Real estate is tight in the engine bay with two turbos. The custom headers($$$) is another.
http://www.sd-concepts.com/pages/cfTurboDakotaRT.cfm

Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
You didn't say where you are putting the turbos. I think a turbo from a 2.6 is a bit small. There is a lot more to consider than just the size. Might want to take a look at the sd concepts page for ideas. I was considering a remote set up. Real estate is tight in the engine bay with two turbos. The custom headers($$$) is another.
http://www.sd-concepts.com/pages/cfTurboDakotaRT.cfm
This looks much like the setup I want to make. However, I'm on a low budget. My current plan is to get manifolds from a '93 van which exit at center/bottom, turn them upside down, and fabricate a 90 degree bend into the turbo. Each of these will have a pyrometer installed to make sure I'm not overworking either bank. Then, these will "Y" into a stock Cummins intercooler, then into my throttle body.

I know there is a lot of math to consider, this is why I'm asking gear-heads better than me. On a thread from another website, they recommended twin "Mustang" turbos, saying they were both oil and water cooled.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You want to get a turbo correctly sized to the motor. Impeller rates are another issue. I would use the info you can find from others that have installed twins as a base line starting point. I believe sd consepts used twin garret t60's but no other info was listed about them. Most stock(came from manufacturer) are both oil/water cooled for long life. Oil is a must,water is optional. Plumping twin turbos in the engine bay can be tight. I like they you think! Do things on the cheap. Sound like a cool undertaking if you decide to do it.

Quick Reply: Wanting a turbocharged 318...