2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a trans cooler cause the motor to overheat? I have a small aftermarket one and just got the correct one and was going to install this weekend

Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Shouldn't. Unless the cooling system is marginal to begin with. (which I suspect, your is. )

Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

T stat is @ 190 but not getting higher but Truck is running hot what I mean by that is if I try to take rad cap off it boils put

Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's normal. Here's how it works:

Pressure X Volume = Mass X R (constant) X temp.

Volume, mass, and R, are fixed values in the case of your cooling system. So when temp changes, pressure does too. Warmer it gets, higher the pressure. (up to about 17 PSI or so, when the cap lets some pressure bleed off, which reduces volume and mass as well.) So if you suddenly release the pressure...... two things happen, the temp climbs as pressure decreases...... which tries to increase pressure..... basically, the coolant flash boils..... (in the right conditions.) and is just a VERY bad thing to have happen to you. Do NOT open the cooling system when it is under pressure. You can do serious damage to yourself in short order.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Probablly because I didnt turn the motor off 1st huh? So then its not overheating. If it was a blown headgasket it should be overheating non stop right? I Checked the t stat not it, gonna rwplace water pump in a bit

Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Ok so I noticed a hole on the driver side of the water pump its perfectly round & its leaking water.I thought the only hole was @the 7 oclock position
Im in Missouri, heres what's going on as of right now bought a new t stat but boiled old 1 it opened up so t stat is fine.I drove 50 miles no overheating. But everything felt really hot should I still put in new t stat? I Have a kid who Im building a custom subframe for his car&he is renting a pressure tester&buying a water pump.Now if the headgasket is bad Im guessing the pressure tester will tell us so?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have the new stat, install it. Sure can't hurt.

If your water pump is leaking coolant ANYWHERE, replace it. (looks like that is exactly what you are doing.)

The coolant may be 195 degrees, but, some of the engine parts (the turbo, in particular) get a LOT hotter than that...... and stay that way for some time, even after shutdown.

Get the new pump installed, cooling system refilled, verify no external leaks, then hit it with the pressure tester..... the gauge shouldn't bleed down very much, if at all. (sometimes, the seal at the radiator isn't perfect.....) If it bleeds down quick, you have a problem. (and if its external, should be easy to find.)

Another test would be to simply start it up, stone cold, and start squeezing the upper radiator hose. If it's hard as a rock right away, you have a problem. If it doesn't get hard until the engine starts to actually warm up, you are probably golden.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:05 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

quick answer needed I don't know what I'm doing but this pressure tester but I pumped it up to 50 pounds and it held is that good or bad

Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't do that. 18 lbs or so MAX. Otherwise, you risk blowing your radiator apart.

But, if it held 50 lbs, I think you are fine.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Sorry 26 psi

Quick Reply: oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?