2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash replacement and AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:12 PM
regwal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash replacement and AC problem

I own a '99 1500 extended cab. My dash is completely shot, so much that a rear-end collision caused it to fall in. That was the only damage but insurance company would not replace it. Is this too much of a job for this 80 yr/old to perform? Also the AC doesn't have as much velocity as it once had and sometimes blows warm air mostly when stopping or turning corners. Would it be smart to repair the AC first or does the dash impede AC work in any way. I'm thinking that a valve on the AC/heater controls is malfunctioning. Any help or suggestions with these two problems will be appreciated. The truck is all original except paint which has been replaced by Dodge because of the clear coat and black paint failing.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

How able are you? I have seen 80 year olds that could rebuild motors in their sleep, and I have also seen them that I wouldn't trust behind the wheel..... Pretty broad spectrum there.

The dash needs to be taken loose from the truck to change the top part... you don't have to physically remove it from the truck, but, it's close.

While the dash is out of the way though..... probably wouldn't hurt to change the evap, and heater cores..... since you are going to be RIGHT THERE, and both are known for developing leaks. (especially right after you have the dash put back together. )

I think the 99 still has the cable operated temp door.... however, the door can break loose from its axle, and give you strange heater behavior... Something else you would want to check while the dash is out.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:55 PM
regwal

Thanks. I am in pretty good shape I guess, I still ride a Goldwing 1500 on trips and about town. I was just wondering about the technical aspect of those jobs and also if there is a documented procedure for them.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

If you don't already have one, you can download the Factory Service manuals from here. Procedures are in there for anything you wanna do.

I think you can manage it without trouble.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

I think the 99 still has the cable operated temp door.... however, the door can break loose from its axle, and give you strange heater behavior... Something else you would want to check while the dash is out.
Nope. 1999 has electric blend door. Could easily be the problem along with many other reasons for bad AC. Here's blend door fix: http://www.heatertreater.net/magento...ram-95-02.html

Old 06-06-2015, 01:55 PM
regwal

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Nope. 1999 has electric blend door. Could easily be the problem along with many other reasons for bad AC. Here's blend door fix: http://www.heatertreater.net/magento...ram-95-02.html
If the blend door is not functioning properly would it be intermittent while driving along at constant speed? Correct, mine is electric. I downloaded the Service Manual last night but have not found where the dash removal is located. I'll look some more tonight.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:43 PM
jsmith1969
Professional

Originally Posted by regwal
If the blend door is not functioning properly would it be intermittent while driving along at constant speed? Correct, mine is electric. I downloaded the Service Manual last night but have not found where the dash removal is located. I'll look some more tonight.
This http://www.dodgeowner forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17745.0 is one of the better writeups I found when I did mine.

hmm can't post that site I guess...take out the space between dodgeowner and forums for link

Last edited by jsmith1969; 06-06-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't know if it could cause intermittent heat/cold conditions. However, I have had that situation when my system was low of freon.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 PM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

older 2nd gen dash removal procedures, not everything is exact but I believe they are pretty close. Just a couple threads to read through to possibly help you out with it

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...95-2500-a.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...placement.html

Quick Reply: Dash replacement and AC problem