2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New alt. not putting out enough volage, suspect other issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 04:38 PM
monaco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The inter-relationships between electrical devices on these trucks is sometimes quite mysterious...... Solve one problem at a time. Sometimes, fixing one problem, solves a whole bunch of others as well.

Got a volt/ohm meter? Could pull the relay, disconnect the a/c compressor, and then test the wire, see if it goes directly to ground.
Great idea - I was just thinking of that. I have no micro jumpers so I can't fully test the relay.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:45 PM
monaco

The wires connecting to the compressor are in pretty nice shape for the age.

New alt. not putting out enough volage, suspect other issues?-a06p2vh.jpg

Old 06-18-2015, 05:52 PM
CTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by monaco

After. I'm fuzzy about the order of things but I'm fairly certain I got this issue when the battery first went dead.
HeyYou has a mass of knowledge re: these trucks so I am not saying don't try that - seriously.

Sounds as if you shorted something upon reconnection OR the battery or alternator are bad...circumstantial evidence is evidence of just that

Last edited by CTX; 06-18-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Put a good fuse in, Disconnect the wire going to the compressor coil. Start the truck put the ac on. Then reconnect the compressor coil wire. If the fuse blows you found your problem. The compressor coil has a short.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Put a good fuse in, Disconnect the wire going to the compressor coil. Start the truck put the ac on. Then reconnect the compressor coil wire. If the fuse blows you found your problem. The compressor coil has a short.
Pay attention to WHEN the fuse blows, if it goes as soon as the the a/c is turned on, even with the compressor disconnected, then its a wiring problem. If it blows when you plug in the compressor, time for a new compressor clutch.

Quick Reply: New alt. not putting out enough volage, suspect other issues?