2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water in the floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015 | 08:46 PM
Nate_rs
|
Professional
Default Water in the floorboard?

Every time it rains my passenger side floorboard gets a good amount of water pooled in it.
It's the lower part of the floorboard directly in front of the seat.

Any idea's?

I'm not positive if its from the rain itself or me driving through puddles after the rain but I didn't notice the smell until a couple hours after the first time I drove it in today's rain.

Any help is appreciated

Old 06-18-2015 | 12:09 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran

mine does it to. never could figure it out myself. i just ripped all the carpet out of the front seats

Old 06-18-2015 | 09:27 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

If ac is on, might be condensate pan overflow. If only when raining and driving, it could be door seal other than the obvious hole in floor or firewall. If it happens when sitting in the rain as well it could be anything up as well...water flow makes it hard to pinpoint the source. I once had a house roof leak that was about 50 feet away from the actual water entry. I'd ck the windshield seal thoroughly as well.

Old 06-18-2015 | 09:58 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

It's the third brake light seal, They all leak! Replace it with two gaskets from the factory. One will collapse just like original did. Two gives you better chances of it lasting. Same goes for cab lights, They leak to.

Old 06-18-2015 | 10:09 AM
stanjon

Thanks for the detail on the leaking lights. I have a quad cab with the "storage bins" under the rear seats and on rainy days they get wet. I wonder if it from the third brake light. I also have a sunroof... My cab light, dead center, has rusting around it, but I have resorted to clear silicone to seal the area for now.

Old 06-18-2015 | 11:07 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

third brake light should be resealed for sure. mine leaked i almost replaced the rear slider wiindow with a solid before i looked at the brake light. didnt even look like there was any gasket left. i used weather strip for marine. dry as a bone now. front floorboard by seat i put money on door seal unless you have rust holes.

Old 06-18-2015 | 08:00 PM
Nate_rs
|
Professional

Went to the car wash to test a few areas.

Third brake light seal is good. Windshield seal is good. Door seal is good. AC drain is good.

But the water comes in under the carpet.

No rust holes at all anywhere.

Does this point in any direction?

Buddy of mine said check the seal under the wiper cowl?
Seems plausible to me, just don't have time to check it today.

Old 06-19-2015 | 07:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

How do you know the third brake light seal is good? I have two rams and both leaked there! Water runs down the side of the back window frame where it exits onto the floor behind the door. Water pools in the indent in the floor(bottom of the door nest to the seat) for the wire harness. Take out the screws that hold the plastic cover in and the water will stream out under the truck. Take out the lens after you run it through a car wash or heavy rain. You will see the inside will be wet. You can take it out when dry and see signs of water getting in. You need to remove the carpet. It acts as a wick.

Old 06-20-2015 | 06:02 AM
Exquisite

Either heater core or ac is not draining properly

Old 06-20-2015 | 02:55 PM
Nate_rs
|
Professional

I lied. It's the ac drain

How do I fix it?

Quick Reply: Water in the floorboard?