2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECM for 96 Dodge ram

Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 PM
MrGman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECM for 96 Dodge ram

Does anybody know of a company that makes an aftermarket or rebuilt, or refurbished ECM for a 96 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Gas V8, and 4spd Auto transmission, 4x4? Mine crapped out today, and apparently Dodge doesn't make them anymore, and the local Dodge dealer couldn't even find any listed in their computer at other dealers...
Need to get the truck running...

Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay is your best buddd
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...m+ecm&_sacat=0

your gonna need to match up your barcodes on ur pcm to ones people are offering

MOPAR makes performance ones as well i think

Old 06-29-2015, 10:16 PM
MrGman
Rookie

yes, I'm just looking at a couple on EBAY... I'm not a mechanic, but I'm thinking that if I get one with the same Part# (56040975), they should be interchangeable? I've also found a manufacturer or refurbished ones, but can't see my particular one on their list, so just sent them an email.
Not sure why Dodge considers a 96 truck obsolete though... there are 1000's of them on the road still, lol.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 PM
MrGman
Rookie

as for a performance one, don't need that, it's just a work truck. And I would think that if Mopar made one, it should show up in the computer at the Dodge dealer... I'm in Canada if it makes any difference...

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Just curious but how do you know the pcm is bad? They usually last the life of the truck. Just found 3 of them on ebay (56040975).

Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

have you checked your local parts stores? They should be able to get one for you as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:18 PM
MrGman
Rookie

the shop where my truck is has come to the conclusion that it is the ECM. Truck stalled yesterday morning as I stepped on the gas to pull out onto my street. Had it towed in, and they determined it was the fuel pump, so they changed that. Truck still wouldn't run after the new pump, and they determined that the signal that is supposed to be coming from the computer isn't coming in, so by their determination, that leaves the computer as being intermittently faulty.
I found some on Ebay, and also found some from a couple of other places where I could get a remanufactured one from Cardone. Being up here in Canada, the parts stores have a bit of a tougher time locating them, and Dodge doesn't make them anymore, and my local Dodge dealer couldn't even find one listed in their computer at any other dealers. Apparently a 96 with the 360 and 4sp auto was a popular option, so as the computers are dieing, the spare ones out there are hard to find.
Luckily, one of the parts stores managed to locate one somewhere, and it is supposed to be here hopefully by Monday.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:26 PM
MrGman
Rookie

and still waiting for the new computer to come in. Was really hoping it would've come in Friday. Darn rental truck is getting expensive, lol So, I was told by the shop that's working on my truck that the new computer will be plug n play, but I've read elsewhere that it will need to be flashed with the VIN from my truck and the mileage? Does anybody know? Is that something that can be done by any competent shop with a diagnostic machine or is it a dealer only thing?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

96 PCM doesn't care about mileage, and I don't think it really care much about the VIN either. 98 and up trucks are much more picky.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:48 PM
MrGman
Rookie

so, the new computer finally came in this morning, and truck is running fine. Turns out that a sensor wire had been pinched and finally wore through, instantly grounding things and they figure that's what fried the computer. The wire was for the crankshaft position sensor, and it was pinched between the transmission and the engine. Apparently when the tranny was dropped a couple of years ago to replace the torque convertor, they got the line pinched when they bolted things back in. Finally wore through and shorted things out. Only good thing out of this is that I have a new fuel pump since that was the first diagnosis, and the shop didn't charge me a penny for it, lol. Also a new crankshaft position sensor since the wire was toast, lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECM for 96 Dodge ram