2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sudden Shaking over bumps and on HARD braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM
sat1425
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sudden Shaking over bumps and on HARD braking

Hey....New here, came in search of advise. I have 1996 Ram 2500 and have had very few issues with it. Today is Tuesday. Friday, last week, I had the tires rotated drove home no issues. Done some running around Monday and still no issues until I had to brake very HARD to avoid accident. (I did not leave the paved road, just came to a very quick stop)

A few miles down the same road I had travelled earlier I hit the same bump I hit earlier and the truck shook violently. I stopped, looked and saw no problem. I drove off and did a medium pressure brake test and again the truck shook violently. It does not under light braking and does not shake at any speed.

I took it to the same service center where the tires were rotated and the have called me and said that practically my entire front end needs replacing. I had no issues until the HARD braking incident. Any advise as to what's happening here? Or what I should do first rather than say : "Yep go ahead and replace everything.

Last edited by sat1425; 06-30-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:59 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go in and ask them to show you what's worn out. If they can't point at a piece and show you that it's loose, ask why they want to replace it.

It's entirely possible that you're due for ball joints and tie rods.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Think I would pick it up, and do my own inspection, to include brake linings. When my rears were worn to the rivets, it felt like the truck was going to shake itself apart when I stepped on the pedal even moderately hard.....

Quick Reply: Sudden Shaking over bumps and on HARD braking