2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Ram door leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Mopar 03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ram door leaking

I have a 99 Ram and I have a leak around the passenger door. I took it to a body shop, and they adjusted the door to stop the leak. Then the door opened and closed funny, and slowly it's starting to close and open normally. I still have a leak in the same area. I took my doors threshold looking thing off, and between it and the door gasket there were water drops. I took out a dollar and put it between the door seal and door, then closed the door on it. In some places you can pull the dollar out with ease. Should it be harder to pull out? Is this an accurate test? I know it's not the windshield leaking, because when I pulled the carpet back the padding that goes up the firewall is dry. The water is just where the passengers feet would be at, and then all the way to the right to the threshold. What do I need to do to fix this? New door seal? The body shop said the seals looked good to them. Does the door need adjusting again? Will tweaking the door even help?

Last edited by Mopar 03; 07-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Is the door leaking along the bottom?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Mopar 03

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the door leaking along the bottom?
I'm not sure I think it is along the bottom. I have no water on my door panel and the seat is dry. The water was between the doors threshold and the door gasket. How can I tell? I have tried using a hose in the past, but it won't leak in less it's a hard rain and that is all we have been getting for some time now.

Last edited by Mopar 03; 07-02-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Was the water still outside the truck? Can you post a pic of the problem area? I am having a hard time visualizing it... (that may just be because I am seriously tired too..... bed soon.)

Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Mopar 03

Was the water still outside the truck? Can you post a pic of the problem area? I am having a hard time visualizing it... (that may just be because I am seriously tired too..... bed soon.)

No the water was on the inside of my truck. The small drops were under the plastic trim piece that looks like a threshold in the door jamb. Then it appears the water ran into the truck. At least that is the way it appears to me. My truck smells really bad.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if the water ISN'T coming in under the door, but, someplace else.... Third brake light is famous for that. Seal around the rear window where the roof channels come down to it as well. I would be tempted to pull some interior pieces, and see what ya find.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Mopar 03

Wonder if the water ISN'T coming in under the door, but, someplace else.... Third brake light is famous for that. Seal around the rear window where the roof channels come down to it as well. I would be tempted to pull some interior pieces, and see what ya find.
I had it at a body shop a couple of months ago. They sealed up the third light and said the door was leaking. They made an adjustment to the door so it would not leak. The door would not open and close correctly after that, but did not care if it solved my problem. Slowly the door started to close normal and now it leaks. It's weird because no one has re-adjusted the door.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

How did they adjust the door? Just move the latch in further? Do the body lines line up?

Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Mopar 03

How did they adjust the door? Just move the latch in further? Do the body lines line up?
I'm not for sure how they did it. I think they bent on it some. The bottom of the door seemed to stick out a little past the cab. Now it is flush with the cab. My drivers side is the same way and it does not leak. I'm thinking the adjustment did not have any effect.

Last edited by Mopar 03; 07-04-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Entirely possible.

If the body lines are lined up, and smooth, think I would try replacing the seal. If they aren't, adjust the door so they are, and see where you are at. Don't worry 'bout the window framing, get the bottom part of the door in the right spot first, and then you can 'influence' (bend) the window frame to where it needs to be, and seals good.

If you still have leaks, replace the seals.

Quick Reply: 99 Ram door leaking