2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 Indy Without Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:00 PM
rampulstilskin
Rookie
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not an expert on vehicle wiring so I replaced the switch with a $20 unit from O'Reilly and still no headlights.

I purchased a circuit tester at Harbor Freight (I know, I only purchase tools there that I will no use often). I tried testing to find out if there is power going to the switch and cannot get the light to illuminate. I tried clamping it to various metals including the frame and still nothing. I tried touching the wires going to the cigarette lighter and other various wires..nothing. I exchanged the tester with the same results. The light also did not come on when I tried to test the headlight. The only time the light came on was when I touched it to the positive battery post.

The headlights are ugly and dull (why do the side marker lights stay clear on these trucks?) and I was thinking of replacing them but I have a feeling that will not solve the problem.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:10 PM
rampulstilskin
Rookie

I am no expert in auto wiring so I installed a $20 switch from O'Reilly...still no lights.

I purchased a probe-type tester from Harbor Freight (I know, I only purchase seldom used tools from them) and the bulb would not light. I exchanged it with the same results. I tried clamping onto various metal such as the brake arm, the switch itself and the frame...nothing. I tried to test the lights with the clamp on the engine...nothing. The bulb did light when I touched the positive battery post.

I was thinking of replacing the headlights as they are dull and ugly (why do the side marker lights stay clear?).

Old 08-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Look up plug C206 in the service manual it will tell you what all the wires are.
This is not exact so dont reference the wire descriptions. positive (12V) you have three inputs, B1,B2 and P.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:04 PM
rampulstilskin
Rookie

Moparite, I appreciate you sticking with me on this issue and thanks for sending the diagram.

Does it appear that I am using the tester correctly?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Well i don't care for test lights, I use meters. Find a good ground someplace then test the light on the fuses. If it lights then it's working.

Quick Reply: '96 Indy Without Headlights