2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diesel Conversion 1997 2500

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
jake1095
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Conversion 1997 2500

Hey guys, I know this is one of those topics that is always discussed but i wanted to post this and interact with people and get strait forward help or ideas upon what I am planning to do.

I own a 1997 Ram 2500 3/4 ton V8 360 automatic. So far she has 177 thousand miles on her and I am beginning it as my project. Re doing interior, body work, etc. So far she is in great shape and works very well (a few problems here and there but with older vehicles comes maintance). I change oil every 3000 miles and baby the vehicle (some say its practically my wife).

I have been doing reaserch into doing a diesel conversion on it. I had thought about just buying another V8 360 but considering the fact I am making this vehicle my project and I am fond of the Cummins I figured to do some research. (If anyone is wondering why I dont just buy a new dodge diesel truck its because I like the older vehicles, more hands on less toying with computers and fewer sensors etc, I dont want a newer vehicle) I plan in buying a 24 valve Cummins and different gas tank, and other items necessary and doing the conversion, but my research (however in its infancy) is getting mixed responses upon what i can do and what items i need. Some say the 97 dodge tranny can connect right to the Cummins engine without adaptor plate, some say it needs adaptor plate, some say it will need a different tranny others say no it wont, then more conflicting reports say i will need a different dash and wiring, new computer while of course others say you dont, then some say it cant handle the 24 valve etc. You get the picture, its the run around.

Can anyone set this strait for me? Cost is of no concern as lomg as i get it done right (like i said its my project)

Thanks guys! Any help and insight will be appreciated!

Last edited by jake1095; 07-23-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Don't post in the DIY forum. (according to theory, you shouldn't be able to..... so much for theories, eh? )

The 46RE won't bolt to the cummins, and even if it would, it most certainly would not survive long behind it. You WILL need a different trans. I believe the output shaft on the diesel trans is also larger than its gas counterparts, so, you will need to either change the input hub for the t-case, or, swap out the t-case as well.

You will need PCM, wiring harness, dash, interior harness, etc, to use the 24v cummins. A LOT changed from 97 to 98, let alone 97 to 98.5.... (when the 24v first showed up....) The instrument cluster for the diesel is a bit different, and the whole cluster is different from 97 to 98. Bus communications are totally different from 97 to 98.

Your best bet is going to be finding a wrecked truck, with the engine/trans combo you want, and buy the whole thing. Use it as a parts donor until you have your up and running reliably, then strip whatever other parts off of it you want, (axles?) and send the rest on it's way.

In all reality, it usually ends up being cheaper/easier/faster to just buy a 2nd gen with a diesel already in it, and mod that one.....

Better have deep pockets if ya wanna do this swap.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-23-2015, 03:33 PM
jake1095

Sounds like alot of fun work, it never crossed my mind that the 24 valve was introduced later. One big gap in my research. Now i have new knowledge! What if i used an older Cummins engine of 1997 perhaps(say a 12 valve)? Would the same rules apply?

If so i will probly find a junker truck like you suggested. In my area it would be easy to find one.

Last edited by jake1095; 07-23-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

97 12 valve has very little in the way of electronics, you would be able to just swap the PCM, and engine\trans harness, and call it a day. Diesel instrument cluster, and trans would also be required. (and still have the issue to deal with on the t-case.) It would certainly be easier than going to the 24v.

Again, getting the whole truck makes sure you have everything you need for the swap. (but, I would seriously consider seeing what it would take to make the 'donor' vehicle road-worthy again......

Something else to consider would be driveshafts..... pretty sure the front will be the same, but, the rear may have a larger output shaft to deal with as well. Not sure about that..... You would have to look into it.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:41 PM
jake1095

Awesome i definatley will! Thanks for the input!

Old 07-23-2015, 03:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide, and if you go thru with this project, there better be pics, and a write up on it. (as you progress would be best.) Otherwise, the forum police will come and lash you with a wet noodle.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Choose a 12V and it'll be a lot easier.

With the 12v there is no wire splicing or reconfiguring, harness is a direct plug in, mounts are identical. Easy peasy...

Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 PM
jake1095

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Good Luck. Let us know what you decide, and if you go thru with this project, there better be pics, and a write up on it. (as you progress would be best.) Otherwise, the forum police will come and lash you with a wet noodle.
Ha that is very convincing i will keep you guys in the loop! I just had to replace my left rear axel seal(sadly it began leaking two days ago) then tomorrow im replacing my right rear axel seal just to be safe and doing a rear break job. I will definatly post pics of her and all the work im doing to her and will definatly show pics if i get the conversion done!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 PM
jake1095

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Dodge 360 gas to Cummins 12 Valve conversion - YouTube.

Choose a 12V and it'll be a lot easier.

With the 12v there is no wire splicing or reconfiguring, harness is a direct plug in, mounts are identical. Easy peasy...
Yeah you guys are absolutly right about the 12v Cummins. Even though im re doing my interior the entire process of re wiring and re doing the dash etc for the 24 valve cummins isnt worth it at all. I will keep you in the loop upon my choice when i gather more reaserch for the overhaul, thanks for the vid btw!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just made a benefit truck for a friend's brother a while back out of 5 differnt parts trucks of various years 97-01... Don't try to mix 94-97 and 98-01/02 cab wiring. Total headache unless you have crank windows and manual mirrors.

HeyYou is right on point, except for one thing. The 96-97 diesel PCM will run your 97 gas dash perfectly fine. We swap gas dashes into 12 valve trucks all the time because the diesel dash only reads to 4,000 rpm and more and more trucks are running 5,000+ rpm governor spring kits.

Trans is diesel/V10 specific bolt pattern. If you're piecing a truck together you can get a V10 trans, just make sure you buy a new diesel torque converter (which would be a good idea to grab at least a billet single disc anyways). Your transfer case would work, the output shafts are the same 23 spline on the 47RE vs the 46RE. Only the manuals and newer 6 speed autos run the bigger 29 spline output shaft. However, I would highly recommend confirming that your truck has the NP241DLD. If it has the NP231 I would look for the 241DLD for simplicity in swapping since your current shafts and yokes will fit. Though if it has the 231 I would also suspect that it has the lighter axles, if that's the case I wouldn't get very carried away with adding much power to your Cummins or you'll find your weak points in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Diesel Conversion 1997 2500