2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Half a quart of oil every thousand miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was my thinking as well. ill probably get some cover gaskets some time soon. see what that does. yeah power is fine.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM
nickr519
Amateur

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
120k on the truck, has new and properly functioning pcv also plenum is fixed. takes half a quart every thousand miles. 15 year old truck i dont expect it to be perfect but is this normal for our 5.9's? no leaks on the ground or anywhere on the motor. thinking just tired rings maybe?
How did you go about verifying pcv valve is functioning properly?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Don't need to separate the trans to do rear main. It's a two-piece variety, and can be done with engine and trans in the truck. (I have done so.) Just drop the oil pan, remove the rear main, loosen bolts on the next two, replacing the lower half of the seal is easy, the upper half is a bit more challenging. I drove mine out with a plastic drift. Stuffed the new one in, and put everything back together. (along with replacing the oil pump, and removing chunks of rag from my oil pan...... yeah, don't ask.)

Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by nickr519
How did you go about verifying pcv valve is functioning properly?
by checking inside the intake over the next t oil changes after having replaced it. pools of oil just mist of oil as the pcv does. replaced with factory Mopar as well

Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM
nickr519
Amateur

by checking inside the intake over the next t oil changes after having replaced it. pools of oil just mist of oil as the pcv does. replaced with factory Mopar as well
Gotcha. I am going through a whole plenum fix now including new OEM PCV valve, so I am interested to see how my oil consumption after all that compares to yours. My guess is it will be similar due to rings, but I was BLOWING through oil before. 97 2500 5.9L gas 4x4, I used 1.25 qts in 600 miles. Makes yours sound mild in comparison . I also wasn't leaking visibly anywhere, not misfiring, no smoke out the exhaust.
Didn't check the rear crank seal while I had the oil pan off and I don't wanna take it off again now

Old 08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gotcha. I am going through a whole plenum fix now including new OEM PCV valve, so I am interested to see how my oil consumption after all that compares to yours. My guess is it will be similar due to rings, but I was BLOWING through oil before. 97 2500 5.9L gas 4x4, I used 1.25 qts in 600 miles. Makes yours sound mild in comparison . I also wasn't leaking visibly anywhere, not misfiring, no smoke out the exhaust.
Didn't check the rear crank seal while I had the oil pan off and I don't wanna take it off again now
I had the same problem...... I was going thru a quart every 100 miles, or less..... Did the plenum, OEM PCV valve, a selection of other fixes, and I am STILL going thru the better part of a quart every 100 miles....... Of course, I have 196,000 miles on my motor...... so, there is probably a fair bit of wear... I don't get any smoke during the summer, I get some at startup during the colder months though.... and it IS oil smoke. No clue why it doesn't smoke in summer.... oil consumption doesn't change....

Given the amount of oil I am going thru, I would seriously expect my truck to smoke like a diesel.. but, it doesn't. I have some minor leaks, but, nothing ever hits the ground. The plugs don't look as oil fouled as I think they should either...... in fact, they actually look pretty good. I wonder if my valve cover leaks are worse than what I think, but, the oil is burning off on the exhaust manifolds, instead of dripping onto my driveway.

I have another, lower mileage, motor hanging on the engine stand, but, I would like to go thru it some before dropping it in.... just need to have the money.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I had the same problem...... I was going thru a quart every 100 miles, or less..... Did the plenum, OEM PCV valve, a selection of other fixes, and I am STILL going thru the better part of a quart every 100 miles....... Of course, I have 196,000 miles on my motor...... so, there is probably a fair bit of wear... I don't get any smoke during the summer, I get some at startup during the colder months though.... and it IS oil smoke. No clue why it doesn't smoke in summer.... oil consumption doesn't change....

Given the amount of oil I am going thru, I would seriously expect my truck to smoke like a diesel.. but, it doesn't. I have some minor leaks, but, nothing ever hits the ground. The plugs don't look as oil fouled as I think they should either...... in fact, they actually look pretty good. I wonder if my valve cover leaks are worse than what I think, but, the oil is burning off on the exhaust manifolds, instead of dripping onto my driveway.

I have another, lower mileage, motor hanging on the engine stand, but, I would like to go thru it some before dropping it in.... just need to have the money.
i think our valve covers are doing more damage then they seem. i dont see any other explanation. man thats a ton of oil though.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:03 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

doing the plenum and pcv should solve the poblem unless you end up needing new rings

Old 08-06-2015, 04:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

i think our valve covers are doing more damage then they seem. i dont see any other explanation. man thats a ton of oil though.
What's really sad is, I HAVE the gaskets, just haven't done them yet.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:58 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What's really sad is, I HAVE the gaskets, just haven't done them yet.
i know how that goes. i sat on my heater core for a year before i put it in

Quick Reply: Half a quart of oil every thousand miles