2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Cummins motor mount ? s&more

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Cummins motor mount ? s&more

Ok so many of you have seen me asking questions about trying to save my truck since I had an accident.Long story short, hit the medium &went across highway hit the guardrail. Rear axle got knocked backwards on driverside u bolt broke blocks went forward both control arms bent & then broke the od unit from the t-case.I asked a million questions &today decided to take it to a shop to have it looked @.
I Was told that somehow I was lucky enough that I didn't bend the frame however the motor mount where it connects to the chassiss appears to of tweaked from the motor transmission being yanked the way it did.They said they can pull the bolt & lift the motor &weld a new ear/tab/plate in there.
He said everything else driveshafts &ujoints look fine all but theres also a broken trans mount.He said he would think that if anything got broke it would be in the od unit but there's a possibility of something being broke in the trans.8 know this guy he's not out to make a dollar off of me.I have 3 questions #1 is with that esr on the mount being bent like that is there anything else you can think may of happened? #2 Would you suspect more damage to the trans &lastly what would you do if it was your truck?
Also he is willing to fix bith upper&lower driverside control arms, fix the mount, install new oil pan &install of unit & put rear axle back how it should be for only 850.But think I might do it here in my shop.My biggest fear is just putting od in to find out trans got tweaked. Blah blah blah
Name:  20150806_161610.jpg
Views: 5427
Size:  220.0 KB Name:  20150806_154617.jpg
Views: 5567
Size:  790.1 KB

Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Going to have to jack up the motor to get the bolt back in place. The ears on the mounts aren't full circle anyway, gravity + friction holds things in place. You could probably get away with doing nothing with that mount, aside from setting things back where they need to be.

Rear axle shouldn't be a problem to put back in place. I would be tempted to replace ALL the u-bolts though.

trans is going to be a tough one. Only way to know for sure if anything else got tweaked in there, is to fix what ya got, and see what happens. Other alternative would be to just replace it. Depends on how much ya wanna spend.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking about the mounts. I thought **** I can use my porto power to get it straight like it was. I can get a good rebuilt transmission with an overdrive for a grand &I know a guy with rebuilt overdrive with $700 output shaft and he is going to throw in a oil pan for free. Mine has a small hole but I was just going to weld it up. I am worried if I buy the overdrive and then need a transmission I'm out that money &I have a extra overdrive

Old 08-07-2015, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Could always just sell the O/D unit, if it turns out you don't need it.

Quick Reply: 99 Cummins motor mount ? s&more