2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no speedometer,or odometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Ryan E Meadows
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no speedometer,or odometer

have a 1999 1500 5.2 , i replaced the speed sensor,no luck.the oil pressure went all the way up when i first started it now its fine.all the other guages work and the odometer lights up but does not increase and the speedometer does not even move at all.Help!!!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Speedo on your truck gets its cue from the rear wheel speed sensor. PCM reads that, sends the data out along the bus, via the central timer module, and from there, to the instrument cluster. If all your other gauges work, and you AREN'T getting ABS lite as well, I would guess your cluster is at fault.

Try this, Press and HOLD the trip reset button, turn the ignition to "On", (not start) that will initiate a cluster test, once it starts, you can let go of the button. Should turn on all the lights, and sweep all the gauges. See if the speedo does anything.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Ryan E Meadows

i did the trip reset,all the guages went threw the test,the speedo too,so you said it was my cluster?where is that?is there another speed sensor on the rear end?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the cluster tested good....... (as in, instrument cluster......) need to plug in with a scanner, and see if the PCM is actually getting a speed reading. I would think that it was, else, it gets annoyed, and trips the ABS, and Brake lites. If those are NOT on, and the PCM IS getting speed sensor readings, that leaves the cluster at fault.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Ryan E Meadows

hey i found a speed sensor on the pumpkin on the rear end center,i un plugged it and started my truck to see if i get a fault nothing ,tried to do this three times

Old 08-10-2015, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just starting the truck won't do anything. You will have to MOVE the truck for the PCM to figure out the sensor isn't doing its job. Don't know how far, or how fast though..... I would assume that once around the block would convince it, and trip the lights.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 PM
jrox44
Professional

Probably no help but I had a 99 dakota that did the same thing speedo and odo didn't work. And i had no interior cab light. I swaps the cluster and the speedo worked but was getting no bus on the odo. Turned out to be the cigirette lighter fuse was blown. Fixed the fuse and put my old cluster back in and everything was fine. It's weird but I'd check it . Is was one of the fuses inside a cage. For some reason everything ran through the cig lighter power. Probably won't help but u never know it's a easy check and fix. I felt so dumb after tearing everything apart including wiring harness multiple times

Old 08-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Ryan E Meadows

hey thanks for all the help, i finally replaced the abs speed senor on the rear end center pumpkin and drove it for a minute and it started to work.thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That should have turned on the ABS, and Brake lites.... Do those two come one when you turn the ignition on, before you start the truck?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Ryan E Meadows

no the only lights that come on are the trans temp,gas,air bags,check gauges," the abs lights should light up too?"

Quick Reply: no speedometer,or odometer