2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Hunting after Mega Viper Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:08 AM
dodgefan99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Hunting after Mega Viper Rebuild

So I had my transmission rebuilt about 700 miles ago. From the day I got it the tranny would lag, catch, hesitate whatever you want to call it from 2nd to third. Basically it would pull the truck forward. Now, after 700 miles when you make it downshift every once in a while it will try to downshift again and then try to hunt between those two gears. This worries me because I spent over $2k on the transmission. Can anybody tell me what it is so I can walk into the tranny shop and cuss them out?

Old 09-06-2015, 12:38 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Have you tried explaining your concerns to the shop. As a business owner I would rather a customer came to me first so the problem could be corrected. Of course you could have another shop diagnose the problem , then you could go cuss them out and hope they still will honor their warranty. it may be something simple. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Have you tried explaining your concerns to the shop. As a business owner I would rather a customer came to me first so the problem could be corrected. Of course you could have another shop diagnose the problem , then you could go cuss them out and hope they still will honor their warranty. it may be something simple. Good luck.
I went to them about it surging forward when shifting and he said it just needed break in time.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Take it back to the shop that rebuilt it. Take one of their techs for a test drive, and show him what it is doing. See what they have to say. What you describe is NOT normal. With 700 miles on it, it should be more than 'broke in' by now.

What torque converter did you go with, and did they replace the electronics in the trans? If so, what brand parts?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take it back to the shop that rebuilt it. Take one of their techs for a test drive, and show him what it is doing. See what they have to say. What you describe is NOT normal. With 700 miles on it, it should be more than 'broke in' by now.

What torque converter did you go with, and did they replace the electronics in the trans? If so, what brand parts?
The Billet 6v torque convertor with 1600 stall speed, they said they always replace those parts, they also said they needed a rear support, a reverse servo, low sprag, end play shim, and pump bushing.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, sounds like they are folks that actually have a clue. So, go see 'em, take someone for a drive, and SHOW them what it is doing. Don't let them brush you off. MAKE them go for a ride with you, so they can see the exact problem. See what they have to say then.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 PM
dodgefan99
Professional

Ok, sounds like they are folks that actually have a clue. So, go see 'em, take someone for a drive, and SHOW them what it is doing. Don't let them brush you off. MAKE them go for a ride with you, so they can see the exact problem. See what they have to say then.
So I couldn't get it to do it all day, it still surges between 2 and 3. I'll call them and might take it up but it might not do it again. It did it three times Saturday.

Last edited by dodgefan99; 09-06-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's always the fun part...... I have been on many rides with frustrated customers, because their vehicle WON'T act up when I am around.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:26 PM
dodgefan99
Professional

That's always the fun part...... I have been on many rides with frustrated customers, because their vehicle WON'T act up when I am around.
Guess it could of just been my ****ty *** ability to hold my foot still and I was freaking out the tranny, lol

Quick Reply: Transmission Hunting after Mega Viper Rebuild