2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Handful of problems, but my tires aint one

Old 09-19-2015, 07:23 PM
mankypurple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handful of problems, but my tires aint one

New to this forum, but new to the dodge ram at all. Currently on my 2nd, 2nd gen. plan to keep it forever, but forever is looking all to close with the issues I am running into.

Just rebuilt the 46RH because I had no reverse and a failing granny gear. Post rebuild, my reverse and granny gear are now engaging happily, however, I have no over drive. Truck will fly all day at the rev limiter, but no high gear. Makes for long trips painful, especially since I'm moving soon and its our only vehicle large enough to move stuff around. I have done a little bit to try and troubleshoot it. TV cable adjustment, front band torque check came back good, fluids are all full, replaced the speed sensor that plugs into the side of the overdrive housing. NOW, on a possibly related note, my speedo is inop. Worked fine pre-rebuild, so that's confusing me a bit. So the transmission I would very much like to correct STAT, and I need help on what to do next.

My problems dont end there. When I first fire the pig-ram up, oil pressure sits good and happy. After driving around/warming up it drops to nil at idle. Give it some gas, it shoots back up to normal. Low oil light also illuminates during the no pressure.

Truck is a 1995 2500, 5.9 gas, 46RH auto, 2wd, 180k. Mods are intake, headers, catless pipe, true dual exhaust, 6 inch lift (yeah yeah, not 4X4), AM suspension, trail grapplers, 3500 drivehsaft and ujoints.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mankypurple; 09-19-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

If you aren't getting the speedo, you won't get O/D either.

When you reinstalled the VSS, did you make sure to index it correctly? The gear is offset, so, if not installed in the proper orientation, it won't make contact with the drive gear on the output shaft. Correct positions for whatever color speedo gear you have are listed in the factory service manual. (which you can download here.)

That will more than likely solve those two problems.

For the oil pressure problem, just replace the oil pressure sensor. That is a standard failure mode for those.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:42 PM
mankypurple

Alright, got it indexed properly. Speedo is back, no gear engagement still. Nice to see I'm doing 60mph though.

I forgot to mention, I'm also experiencing hesitation in gear engagement. I also have acquired a weird rattling/rasping noise under hard throttle in 1st.

Last edited by mankypurple; 09-20-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Who did the rebuild?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
mankypurple

I did

Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I know this is kinda obvious, but, is the three pin connector down into the top of the throttle body plugged in?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:51 PM
mankypurple

It was. I did a double check on all connections and a torque check on the bands. Today, I pulled the valve body to go over it again. Not sure how to troubleshoot or do an operational check on it, but I'm fiddling with it. Going to replace the solenoid since I'm in it already. Found a lot of metal on the magnet from the pan. More then I would think would be there so soon after a rebuild. That makes me very uncomfortable.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Make sure you are getting 12 volts down to the trans. You should also see 12 volts coming OUT on the other two wires. PCM controls the grounds for the solenoids. If you have power going in, and coming out, check continuity of wires to the PCM.

Is your park/neutral switch working properly?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 PM
mankypurple

Stuck my voltmeter in there and wasn't getting any reading. Had the key on. I was touching it to the red and black wires on the solenoid. Also tried the harness but wasn't getting anything. Not sure if I'm checking the wrong spot or if it just wasn't energized. Battery is good.

Neutral/park switch was working fine.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's entirely possible that you will only have power down there for about 3 seconds with the engine not running. (I don't recall if that is on the ASD circuit as well.)

But, if you unplug the trans connector, the red wire should have constant 12 volts. Test from the wire to ground, just to verify.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handful of problems, but my tires aint one