2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing gear set

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing gear set

Hello all... it's been a few years. Just wanted to check in, and see about a timing set. What brand double roller is everyone using?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I have the SA Gear set in my truck. (about 40 something bucks at advance.) Others have used the Cloyes, or Comp cams gearsets. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with any of them. After all, how do you screw up a gear set?

Nice to see you again.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:28 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have the SA Gear set in my truck. (about 40 something bucks at advance.) Others have used the Cloyes, or Comp cams gearsets. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with any of them. After all, how do you screw up a gear set?

Nice to see you again.
I was originally looking for a comp set, but had a heck of a time finding an application search (why I posted). After looking around, I think i'm leaning towards Cloyes street true set number 91103. Thanks for the heads up

Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Comp cams and Cloyes are good ones. I bought the Mopar Performance originally and surprised I didn't bend a push rod because the timing marks are different on the Mopar Performance. The Cloyes and Comp Cams have the correct timing marks.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:53 PM
bargeman
Professional

Hey You suggested a Double Roller Chain with a .25 chain pitch . Found one at auto zone. I did mine today and when I got into my engine there wasnt even a tensioner on it. Curious about that......The new chain doesnt require one....

Last edited by bargeman; 09-28-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgefan99
Comp cams and Cloyes are good ones. I bought the Mopar Performance originally and surprised I didn't bend a push rod because the timing marks are different on the Mopar Performance. The Cloyes and Comp Cams have the correct timing marks.
I have the Mopar Performance timing set as well. The timing marks on the crank gear are stupid, it has a very large dot on it (which is not the one to use), and a tiny little dot that you can barely even see (use this one). Just be very careful when using this timing set.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I think only the six cylinder engines came with the chain tensioner stock... No clue why. I did not install one on mine when I changed it.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
.... I did not install one on mine when I changed it.
Don't have a tensioner on mine either... with a good chain, you don't need one... with a stretched chain, there would be an advantage, but you're moving to a double row chain to avoid that (stretching chain).
A tensioner will increase friction and may slightly effect power and mpg numbers... it may also increase noise a little.
With a bigger cam there maybe more need, but I'm not sure... any of you guys with the 408 Stroker use a tensioner?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:50 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by bargeman
Hey You suggested a Double Roller Chain with a .25 chain pitch . Found one at auto zone. I did mine today and when I got into my engine there wasnt even a tensioner on it. Curious about that......The new chain doesnt require one....
I wouldn't add a tensioner. I added one when I did mine and when I tore back into that part of my motor a few months ago the double roller chain had scored groves in the tension brackets which are plastic. If you go reading a bit the tensioners are only really designed for single roller chains. I also had the Mopar Performance like a said above and I didn't like the timing marks. For the purpose of just OCD hopefully in about a week I will be tearing back into it again to do the plenum and I will be replacing the Mopar chain with a Comp Cams which I am VERY pleased with. The marks are easy to read and its a 100% USA made chain. Looks very well made and I'll be removing the tensioner and putting the original thrust plate back.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I tore apart an LA that had a tensioner, As dodgefan99 said the plastic guide and metal behind it was worn into by the chain. Don't use them.

Quick Reply: Timing gear set