2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hesitation and misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

98 doesn't have EGR, so, that's not a concern. Shouldn't have AIR (air injection reactor) either, so, and tubes on the cat can just be plugged. You can get adapters with pretty much any configuration you can imagine. I always weld the pipes on the truck. Put 'em where I want 'em, and use the really nice snap-on wire welder. Nice to do that on a hoist, laying under it, too many opportunities to set yourself on fire.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's some good vacuum tests you can do if you have a vacuum gauge, it says hold engine speed at steady rpm and watch vacuum gauge, if cat or muffler is restricted then the vacuum gauge will continue to drop, it should hold steady..
here's the link..

http://ricehatersclub.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=30690

Old 11-02-2015, 11:08 AM
rgviewer
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=44dakota;3270124]here's some good vacuum tests you can do if you have a vacuum gauge, it says hold engine speed at steady rpm and watch vacuum gauge, if cat or muffler is restricted then the vacuum gauge will continue to drop, it should hold steady..
here's the link.

Thanks, I saw a video from Eric the car guy doing something similar. Will get back to my truck on Tuesday.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:38 AM
rgviewer
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

My truck is finally back on the road and all my power has returned. It is running great. Thanks for all your help everyone.

It isn't finished completely, I still have to replace the plenum which I plan to do but first I wanted to make sure the truck was worth saving, which it is.

The cat was indeed my problem. I ended up taking the cat off from the manifold and cut an access panel in the side, then gutted and welded plate back on, then reinstalled. This is also only a temporary fix as I will be putting a high flow cat in its place. The truck runs but has a hollow tinggy sound, which I do not like. but didn't want to put a new cat on until the plenum is fixed.

For now, I am just glad the it runs again.

Thanks Again

Quick Reply: hesitation and misfire