2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anoother mpg thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:38 PM
m2carbine
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my drive to work has 9 stops signs and 2 lights and almost no traffic. Only reason i put the 180 tstat in cause that what's superchips manual said and what the forums recommend also i barely get any heater heat so i would love to get that back. i did it sit and warm up for 5 mins for a week and there wasn't anything noticably from crank and go a week later. i just the plenum with a litle mirror and there's no pools of oil maybe a slight flim or shin hard to really tell as for the catalytic converter im sure it's the orginal and it doesn't look odd or get glowing red or anything and the tail pipe exh is hot so

Old 01-23-2016, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Flush the heater core. There is a recent thread on this..... nice easy method. That should help your heat.

Put the 195 stat back in. Pay attention to your engine, if you get spark knock, go back to the 180.

What tune do you have on your truck?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:39 PM
m2carbine
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i been meaning to flush the core for a while. I'll have to go buy a 195 one as the old one was installed unpside down and was stuck open. i just changed the tune to 87 octane im going to go thur all the tunes with a full tank and see what my milage looks like then pick the best and roll with that

Old 01-23-2016, 03:56 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my last fill-up I got 8.03MPG on winter blend fuel, with no highway driving at all and lots of time in 4HI and at relatively low engine RPM on that tank just because it's winter in the Rockies. But if I get down to lower elevations and flat roads and run the highway at 65MPH in overdrive with no headwinds and on summer blend fuel, I get 16MPG. Ain't nuthin' wrong with my truck at all, and it's bone stock between the air hat and catalytic converter but for the high voltage side of the ignition which doesn't affect fuel economy at all (and wasn't intended to).

Just a data point, hope it's useful to you.

Quick Reply: anoother mpg thread