2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hey im piggy from Indiana .. have issues with my 97 ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:22 PM
luvmy97ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hey im piggy from Indiana .. have issues with my 97 ram

i have read alot of different discussions but none have exactly described my issue ... i have a 97 ram pickup and my truck has been running fine and yesterday out of nowhere it seemed like my rear brakes were sticking after stopping and as i came to a stop my rpm dropped almost to 0 then i started to drive again just fine , as i came to the next stop rpm's dropped down again and then stalled out ( headlights and stereo stayed on) as the rpms dropped my heater and lights dimmed slightly but the only light on my dash that came on was the oil light ( checked and has plenty of oil ) so i put it in neutral and it restarted and ran fine till the next stop and stalled again and from that point i had to restart and baby it all the way home ... it has a half tank of gas and plenty of oil ... gave no previous warnings and not giving a code? .. seen a lot of post explaining how ppl have spent hundreds of dollars only to still have the problem.. i am no mechanic and dont have the tools or physical ability to chase ghost under my hood .. trying to get the best info before i go broke:/

Old 01-22-2016, 05:03 PM
luvmy97ram

the majority of post ive seen with similar issues have been fixed with either EGR valve or o2 sensor or battery , but still not finding a fix that im confident in so ill try to baby it over to advanced auto to check battery and alternator (just in case) to start with . open for suggestions

Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi miss piggy, if your truck starts right back up after dying at a stop light, then runs fine until it idles again, you need to replace your idle air control solenoid ...

Old 01-22-2016, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Or at least clean it out, and see if that doesn't improve its attitude.

97 doesn't have EGR.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 PM
luvmy97ram

thanx for the info ill give that a try .. still gotta test battery and alt cuz they havent been done in a while but makes sense ..thanx......... mr piggy, aka the bigpig, aka piglet

Old 01-23-2016, 04:24 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

ya seems like an iac problem to me as well.

Quick Reply: hey im piggy from Indiana .. have issues with my 97 ram