2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering woes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts
Default Power steering woes.

Well, was out at a job site today... and while moving the chipper (wood chipper, 10".... about 4500 pounds.) my power steering just quit.... There are no leaks.... but, no power either. You can muscle the steering around... (and that's a friggin' workout) and fluid will blow out around the fill cap of the pump. System hasn't been touched as long as I have owned it, just check the fluid every now and again... it doesn't look the best, but, I have had no issues with it previously. System was not overfilled either. I managed to wrestle it home, (about 40 miles.....) and now need to figger out what's up. Even doing 60 down main roads, it is a BEAR to steer. Feels a lot like something is binding..... Won't get a chance to look at it till probably tuesday though.... but, am open to suggestions.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your power steering pump might have died. I know they make a pressure gauge set up to check the output pressure of power steering pumps, but you would probably need a shop to do it. how many miles on the power steering pump ?.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

198,000....... I suppose it has lived a long life.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck also has 198,000 on it, so I would bet the power steering pump on my truck is nearing the end of its life also.

The steering on my truck has always been hard, and it wont return to center by it self.
I have always thought it was a combination of a bad alignment and a bad power steering pump (maybe ?).

Old 11-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yo yo yo HeyYouuuuuu...the shaft on the PS pump is likely culprit. Alloys pulley to still spin, which is good. Sometimes the pulley will come out and you're, well,...you know. Or internal damage that still allows it to spin but not provide the requested pressure to the gearbox.

It's a PITA to change the PS pump. I've gotten pretty good at it though. lol

The PS pump is mounted to a bracket. 2 ways to remove.

First and best way is to remove entire bracket from engine and pull PS pump assembly out in 1 piece.

Second is you need the correct pulley removed to take the pulley off the front. Then you can access the bolts that hold the pump housing to the bracket.

Prior to either of the above, I'd undo the line fittings at the gearbox...size 18mm line wrench is the bestest. Have a bucket ready for the fluid. You can use turkey baster to suction out of pump itself as much as you can. Keep track of orings on the fittings. Get new ones...total of 2 at the gearbox and 1 at the pump (for high pressure line).

When you get a new pump, you get a tool to put pulley onto new pump. It's a screw with 2 nuts. Old pump is a core and is ~$55 at Napa.

I would use better than average PS fluid too.

Oh, 9/16" offset closed box wrench is the best for all the bolts around the bracket to engine...especially the one holding the ground wire. You do NOT need to mess with the water pump outlet.

I got this down pretty good that I changed out entire PS pump and gearbox on the trail a couple weeks ago. lol I went to PickNPull to get the bracket and pump. Assembled whole thing ahead of time before returning to the truck to do the work. Everything went smoother and quicker.

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 11-30-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hit it with an axe!

Got nuthin'

Old 11-30-2015, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Thanks guys. I have access to all the cool and neat tools I could ever need, provided I can get my truck to them. It's *fun* to drive at the moment...... and it gets pushed off another day or so, as I got called in to my "regular" job tomorrow...... They wanted me today, but, I was out cuttin' trees.......

Old 12-05-2015, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, finally went out to play with it today.... First, I attempted to flush the system. There was little to no flow, and no power steering either....... So, bit the bullet, pulled the belt, and started removing the pump. Sure as shootin'... the pulley all but fell off, with a section of the shaft. No fixin' that..... So, swapped out the pump, (had a new one, and the tools for the pulley handy) flushed the system a bit, bled the air out, and once again, I have power steering.

Oh Joy, Oh Bliss.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We knew you still had it in you.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least you posted the resolution.

Congrats.