2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low beams die when dimmed (occasionally)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:29 PM
MrBillWI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beams die when dimmed (occasionally)

When I trip my headlights to low beam, sometimes the low beams are on, sometimes I have no headlights at all. Is there a switch in the steering column that needs to be replaced, or a switch in the dash somewhere?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, there are are two switches. Does your headlight switch feel hot after it's been on for awhile? All of the current for great headlights goes through the dash headlight switch. It could be dying. I might start there first before replacing the column stalk switch. While you're at it, do the headlight relay mod.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:10 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Try tilting your wheel up and down when it happens and see if the headlights go on or if on go off..
both my brother and I had the same issue with our ram sports 10 years ago and I had it again with
the SS/T I bought in august..

below is video of whats happening and while this guy spliced in more wire in all 3 of my experiences there
was enough wire and all I did was pull up about 1" of slack on the affected wire itself and then wire tied it
off to rest with no more problems after

Last edited by ramsportrocks; 12-09-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 AM
webhead68
Rookie

I had the same problem and I pulled the switch out of dash and tightened up the terminals. The problem has seemed to go away but I didn't know about the headlight relay mod.

Quick Reply: Low beams die when dimmed (occasionally)