2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Complete set of evap hoses for 2001 CA 5.9L?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:19 AM
fastfeat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete set of evap hoses for 2001 CA 5.9L?

I've got a beater 01 1500 with a quarter million on the clock that was originally given to me registered and titled by my boss. Problem was that at 2 year mark, I found out it had a bogus smog check performed to register it, because much of the evap system was disconnected and now I can't get it smogged/registered. (It actually sat unused for a year, so currently tags are a year out.)

Been reading through threads here and elsewhere regarding repairs and replacing of hoses, with lots of folks replacing various ones til problem solved. Since I've got to basically build this system back from scratch, I'm wondering if anyone here (or at a dealer) has compiled a complete set of evap hoses for this truck? Would be so much easier to go into a dealership (or aftermarket vendor) and get them all at once, since so many seem to go bad.

And what other parts of the system are failure-prone? I can grab cheap backup evap canisters, purge valve, etc at local DIY junkyard if worth it. My truck has the main parts present, but obviously something must've stopped functioning to have him disconnect and bypass rather than repair/replace. And right now, I need the truck to at least not flunk the visual smog inspection.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:45 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wonder if you can cut and use vacuum hoses to do the job...

Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastfeat

And what other parts of the system are failure-prone? I can grab cheap backup evap canisters, purge valve, etc at local DIY junkyard if worth it. My truck has the main parts present, but obviously something must've stopped functioning to have him disconnect and bypass rather than repair/replace. And right now, I need the truck to at least not flunk the visual smog inspection.

Thanks in advance.
I've not bothered looking at part stores, Mopar, or even RockAuto for something like this. My replacements have come from the PickNPull. They really aren't that much of a problem. A slight crack at a connection is typical over time thus contributing to silly things like a vac leak on the gas tank. That would be my suggestion is to go to the yard and carefully remove what you need.

What was actually bypassed? One of the cans? Round or square?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM
fastfeat
Amateur

Thanks guys. Here are a couple of shots that don't show much-- will get more at lunch.

Note lack of testing port (1) and dangling canisters (2).

Attached Thumbnails Complete set of evap hoses for 2001 CA 5.9L?-1111151329.jpg   Complete set of evap hoses for 2001 CA 5.9L?-1111151330.jpg  
Old 12-10-2015, 03:07 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to sneak it out of CA (with the bad tags) and sell it???

Old 12-10-2015, 03:10 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your truck have a diagram of the smog hose routing? I thought that they usually do. It might help...

Old 12-11-2015, 01:27 PM
fastfeat
Amateur

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Try to sneak it out of CA (with the bad tags) and sell it???
The plan originally was for me to drive it back to Florida (or as close as I could get) where it could spend it's final years bouncing between landscape jobs and the dog track before completely rusting in peace... But, instead it's been pressed back into service for 6-12mos in San Francisco...

Routing diagram is present and I'm going to get what I can from an 01 V6 1500 in Pick a Part today, just as soon as the rain stops...

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Complete set of evap hoses for 2001 CA 5.9L?