2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting ready to replace the plenum and water pump-what else should I consider doing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 PM
reconrey
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any particular brands I should look into, or any brands I should avoid for the timing chain?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Cloyes are the typical quality go to for timing chains.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:51 AM
reconrey
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been doing a little research on it and I found a Competition Cams 2103 and a Cloyes 9-1103 both of which have a three key way crank sprocket for advancing/retarding the timing 4 degrees, and from what I am reading around the forums, I can gain a bit of power from retarding the timing. Would this be worth it considering everything else of the truck is bone stock? And, which chain would be better the Competition Cams, or the Cloyes? I believe they are both double roller designs. More importantly, what kind of gains could I see from retarding the timing if I choose to?

Also, would this be a good time to start looking into some other performance mods for the truck? Is there anything that I should be looking into specifically?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Given the way the PCM deals with crank and cam timing, results from advancing/retarding the timing has not really been recommended..... Best to run it 'straight up'.... to avoid interesting problems.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to replace the plenum and water pump-what else should I consider doing?