2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tip on finding coolant leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 01:34 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tip on finding coolant leaks

1995 Dodge Ram 5.9L engine
I had a coolant leak that I could not find. the coolant level would lower very slowly. I feared the head gasket leak.

I removed the ac compressor, alternator, and accessory bracket (the compressor sits on it). but do not disconnect any of the coolant system.

I borrowed a coolant system pressure tester and discovered a leak at the timing cover gasket and inlet tube (to the water pump).

I was able to tighten the water pump bolts (which also tighten the timing cover) but there is still a seepage leak at that location.

I plan to replace the inlet tube and thermostat and reassemble to determine the amount of future leakeage (from the timing cover). I am not ready to tackle that job yet.

I do not have the air tools to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. what methods to remove this bolt (without air tools) have you guys found to be successful? tks

Old 12-17-2015, 03:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You really want to address that leak as quickly as you can, it has the potential to leak coolant into the crank case, and once that happens, things get REAL expensive right quick.

For the crank bolt, couple options...

1. put a socket on it, and a breaker bar, smack the end on the breaker bar to get the bolt to break loose. Once it does, it'll come out easy.

2. Pull the starter..... use a screwdriver/prybar/whathaveyou, to wedge into the starter gear teeth on the t/c, then, a regular ratchet and some elbow grease will allow you to break it loose.

Going to need a puller for the balancer too.... Parts store should rent them. (along with a gear puller, for the crank gear.)

Old 12-17-2015, 05:26 PM
jtcowan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft bolt

tks hey you: i have used the starter method of removing a crankshaft bolt on my camry. will that method work on the ram?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Yep, sure will. Just need three arms.

Quick Reply: tip on finding coolant leaks