2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best combination of parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best combination of parts?

I'm going to be rebuilding a 2001 Ram 1500 2WD with the 5.9L in the coming months and it is in need of a few parts (it was wrecked previously)..

Of these parts, the hood, radiator, and air intake all need to be replaced (among other minor things). I was wondering what the best hood and air intake would be best for good power without breaking the bank, and also what would be a good radiator to purchase? I'm not interested in any huge hood scoop type hoods, I don't want it to look like a hot rod, but rather an off road indestructo-truck, a working mans truck.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Check the wrecking yards around you for a parts donor, and just grab used stock pieces. (best for the budget.)

Or, LMC Truck sells stock sheetmetal..... but it ain't cheap.

Dealer will want an arm, leg, half your soul, and your first-born male child.

If you can, find one of the solid aluminum Radiators. (well, not 'solid' per se.... but, no plastic tanks on the ends. )

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Radiator.com They have a lifetime warranty! I got one from there and it's been in for 10 years with no issues whatsoever. Stay away from the the parts stores, i used one from them and it failed right after the warranty ran out(one year).

Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 AM
shak
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sheet metal and radiators

As Hey You advised, check the junk yards for original parts, especially hoods. Some of the "New" after market hoods, and other sheet metal parts are much thinner gauge steel than the original equipment.
Radiators...
If you have a radiator shop in your town (the EPA chemical usage restrictions have put many out of business.) check with them. You might be pleasantly surprised at how reasonable their prices are. From repairing to replacement, I've found over the years, that my local guy is honest, and provides excellent turn-around times, at a good price. For my 1996 1500 5.9L, there are several different radiator configurations...plastic or aluminum side tanks, one row to three row coils, tow package equipped i.e. auxiliary trans coolers, automatic or manual trans..etc.
If you bring the old radiator to the local guy...he'll likely get it right, save you some time and money, and back it up if something goes wrong. Swapping a radiator out is usually an easy job, taking minimal time, and ranging in price from $100-$400.
But, these days, if I spring a leak, I don't even bother tracking it down. I just drop the truck off at the local radiator shop...he has me in and out in hours...and treats me right on the price.

Last edited by shak; 12-28-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:11 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Check out eBay for a CSF 2969 all-aluminum radiator. It does not have the crappy plastic tanks that crack and leak. As long as I stay out of a front-end accident, this radiator should outlast the truck! FYI, I have one installed in my truck and love it!

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

^+1... I'm lov'n mine... and I got it close to the price of a plastic tank after market one.

Quick Reply: Best combination of parts?