2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan Blower Switch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:48 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fan Blower Switch Mod

I will probably get scoffed at for this like I did for my wiper mist switch, but I installed a shut-off switch for my heater fan. Yeah, I know that you can just crank it all of the way to the off position but, it seems to me, that when you do, it closes off the vents too. Definitely less air flow. With the switch for the fan, I can shut it off and just let the natural flow of the air from the truck in motion flow through the heater, but without having the fan on. You know, like the "vent" position in older cars used to be.

Up under the dash, there is a 22-pin, white connector. This is joint connector No. 8. It is in the middle of the wiring connector location page below. It looks like it is plugged into a receptacle mounted to the metal frame of the dash and it looks like it is just plugged in there to keep it out of the way. There are no wires coming out of the other end of the receptacle. Just un-plug the connector and pull it down a bit so that you can work on it. Right next to the release tang for the connector are 2 wires, one on either side of the tang. One is tan and one is dark blue. In slot 5 is the dark blue one that we want. I just cut that wire and spliced in a switch inline with it. I mounted my switch in the lower dash panel beneath the steering wheel. That is all there is to that.

Attached Thumbnails Fan Blower Switch Mod-fan-blower001.jpg   Fan Blower Switch Mod-fan-blower002.jpg  

Last edited by dbbd1; 01-01-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

The 98 and up might do that.... but, I think there is a requirement (say: Thank you federal government....) for some airflow even if the fan is off...... Will be interesting to hear your results. (you WILL be testing that, and seeing if there is a difference, right?? Right??? )

Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Already did and, yes, big difference. There is "some" air flow when the system is off but it's much greater (depending upon speed of course) with my mod.

And, how can I change the title of the thread to add "mod" when it's shows in the list of threads?

Last edited by dbbd1; 01-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Already did and, yes, big difference. There is "some" air flow when the system is off but it's mush greater (depending upon speed of course) with my mod.

And, how can I change the title of the thread to add "mod" when it's shows in the list of threads?
Interesting. Wonder why Dodge decided to do it that way.....

You can't change the title, that I am aware of, but, I can. (and have.)

Old 01-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

You could just clip the resistor (low coil) and have no low speed. I really don't notice much air coming out the vents on low anyway.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:46 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Hmmm, let me look into that...

I didn't even go there. Some cars (pretty sure my '03 Jeep) will use the same resistor for multiple settings. Like resistor A for medium 2, resistor B for medium 1, and A and B for low. But the according to the wiring diagrams, yes, just cut the tan wire coming off of the blower motor resistor, pin 11 at connector 237.

Now to go find out where that darn resistor block is...

Last edited by dbbd1; 01-02-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Update...
Old 01-02-2016, 01:14 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Connector 237 is plugged in right by the fan. The connector is shown in the pic above, in post #1.

Good call, Moparite!

Quick Reply: Fan Blower Switch Mod