2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock to Upgrade pricing sheet and pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Deliverance1985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock to Upgrade pricing sheet and pics.

Sorry y'all, I know this is covered everywhere on this site, and yes I did read the sticky,:

Pics come after i wash the truck and clean the interior.

Ok some of y'all have nice vehicles, and some of y'all run different equipment do to the upgrades. I am in the PNW in WA state. so info will be great. also planning a trip to Texas next Christmas in 2016. so this is the key.
If you have a list or items. that worked with your upgrades please fill free to let me know.

all up grades will hopefully be done during one week of military leave. all items rough estimate.

Here is what i Own. A used, 2000 Dodge Ram 2500. 25G camper package. Hope fully paid off in april 2016. stock seats. cruise control. diamon plate on the tail gate and bed rail. no fog lights. no CB attenna. no travel convienance group. has the 35 gallon fuel tank. amazing. bad do to plenum.

FI AirGap 5??.?? something from website. 630.00 with shippin. ( i have read multiple times, unless the plenum is blown you wont notice a difference. and if yours isn't blown, upgrades will be required.) i am fine with that. that's what this is for. i am purchasing a house in October from a apartment so a garage i will have.

stock air filter housing (latches broken) ....(I saw a K and N filter housing. this looked nice and sturdier for the air temp relocation. from the FI AirGap

Fuel rails? should i also purchase these. no more than 300.00 after shipping.

should i do new headers also along with temp 180.
new pipe and cat?
and what kinda pipes. cause my cat is full of crap.
I read some guys replaced there chains on the engine. so with that im looking at new belts to?
i have the big Alternator on it .
a new battery tray
and i hear an electric fan does wonders.
i know im gunna need all new fluids. for the trip x3 one before the way down there. and once on way back cause its 2289 miles. so i plan on having an extra set of tires in the bed with me. but id like to have the fluids with me when i get to texas to change them out on the farm before i head back. then ill have to do it again when i get home. im a stickler for that stuff.
spark plugs. wires. throttle body, turtle? and i believe there was something else. I am also gunna have a snorkel attached to the side with the circlular breather box, i like the look, and i want my filter up higher thos some say this doesn't help for cleaner air but i have put my front end in a hole twice.), (so should i keep a filter on top of the engine after this upgrade? i dont see anything wrong with this but cleaner air. maybe slightly restriction on air flow due to two filters?I understand these engines love air flow or actually need it. ) im also gunna have 5 jerry cans with me for the trip so i only should have to stop for fill up half the time i wanted to.

some one said a tuner? i do use my rig to tow car haulers. and a boat. a full be of fire wood. everyone i know has a avalanche so i usually get wood out of the deal.
but this trip will be strictly truck, me, the dog, and my two boys.
I am also making a list of all items needed, looking at November to do the swaps and upgrades. so i i have a month for the computer to reset.
truck has standard 17 inch rims. yes the dash is cracked. I found one a year ago really pricey and slightly heavier due to material but they guarantee it wont crack and comes with a life time or limited time warranty. that's cosmetic not caring about that at the moment. also after the upgrades should i use 87 or go up in grade , filling this blue beast up is kinda pricey. so i try to keep it at 1/4 or above. it also has a sprayed in bed liner an looks like some one had a tongue in the center of the vehicle. no issue there.
yes i use this for traveling and hunting.
along with that i am going to put in clearance lights. i will do myself.
getting a sun roof put in. from auto somethign i believe i saw it on this forum.
I havent seen this yet but im going to do it. put rail system almost the lenght of the cab for cargo. with two horizontal bars that can adjust. so my kids can look up through the sun room. a small rack to go behind the sunroof. and a set of lights infront of the sun roof.
i am also going to get a canopy for the truck. no issue there. already saved the links on the ones i like and the seal. i also need to get one custom made cause im a badass.
any way like i said, i am going to do a price sheet that way i have everything for the trip and the installs and i can run different wires and plugs on the way home. picture of stock vehicle to come. once prices sheet for me is done i will post it. and have the links in the excell sheet, but i havent seen anyone do this. and i would like to. and i figured, a full week is enough time to change out all the items and replacement parts if needed, like a water pump and what not.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 25G Camper Package SLT LARAMIE
175,000 miles. NV4500 transmission.
Purchaseing items start after April. install is in November.

So Lets start with the Engine, I decided on FI AirGap do to the M1 2bbl and M14BBL being from my understanding for horse power. im not into racing, and the FI AirGap looks nicer to me.

FI AirGAP {I hear this is a complete kit minus fuel rails. since stock will work, and that the listened to the customers and have updated there bolts and seals. }
Chains?
Spark Plugs?
Spark Wires?
How Big a bettery can i get in there?
altenator upgrade?
new Cams?
Tuner?
Fluids?
AirBox set up brands?
Belt brands?
Electrical Fan Brands?
Pipes?
Headers?
new distributor just cause?
anything else I am missing?
new cat? or strait pipes?

All suggestions are recommended. I want to be done with my price sheet by end of January gives me some type of goal , i also drive 40 miles round trip to work. moderate foot control.

the engine mods are possible due to come july i will have all my bills paid up till end of october. so lets hear them and ill post the sheet when im done.
BY the Way I freakin love my big blue beast.
buddy said he could get me another fully built stock engine 5.9l for 500.00 dollars.

Attached Thumbnails Stock to Upgrade pricing sheet and pics.-img_0418-1-.jpg   Stock to Upgrade pricing sheet and pics.-img_0414-1-.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Is your truck a HD (heavy duty) or standard? Exhaust will be different. I'm not sure what is in the 25G Camper Package compared to base model. ??? Need to know what you are starting with. What kind of power increase are you looking for? With 175K a timing chain and fuel pump would be on my list. Also what condition is the engine in? Did you do a compression test? Does it have good oil pressure?

Old 12-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Deliverance1985

Truck is Rated as Heavy duty. Its an option package i believe. One Second. RAM 2500HD 4x4 Quad Cab SLT . optional equipment is package 25g. rims 16in altenator 136 amp, heavy duty cooling. thats pretty much the extras on the SLT or that's what the window sticker says that i found. So its a HD with a slight upgrades. no compression test yest, oil holds ok, unless im towing or rolling up a hill. i haven pulled the barrel off yet but im going to when i get the intake. figure if i tear it apart for one thing. ill just replace all the other things. might as well go big. i seem to have almost all the symptoms of the gasket. so ill just do away with the gasket itself.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

first of all get the hughes engine plenum repair and do that. next change out both your oxygen sensors and dont get bosch. While your in the plenum swap out water pump and throw in a double roller timing chain. Im running a standard replacement distrubutor cap and rotor and cables from oreilly but they are brass contacts, haven't had an issue with the bosch plugs either. As far as the battery goes i got the biggest one at costco it was like 950 CCA and I made it fit, might as well utilize the extra juice if you can fit it. for the fuel pump get a delphi, id go ahead and replace it if its stock. clean out the throttle body and clean the IAC bay as well as the sensor or replace it if its as black as the devils bhole. If your cats still alive, then id leave it otherwise get a magnaflow high flow cat in there. I run borla headers and a magnaflow cat back and it sounds great. stock fan should be fine but the electric is obviously better, just make sure you at least get a 180 stat in there. the stock airbox is fine, id probably just throw a k&n in there and leave it alone, otherwise just get a cold air intake, but they don't help much without a tune. tuning wise, if your into it, get a hemifever and tune to 91 and above octane and start running it on the reg, biggest improvement in performance ive seen came from buying that tuner bar none. After that she should be running great. Roller rockers, airgaps, cams and other mods will help but arent really necessary unless you've got the cash to back it up. your sitting pretty with the nv4500. id probably give her a good flush tho since she probably hasnt had many flushes in her life haha. and of course make sure you use 10w30 synthetic for oil, probably wont need to change it whole trip if your level doesn't drop after the first hump of the trip. Fixing the plenum will alleviate oil and coolant loss that is if the plenum is blown which it most likely is...

Old 12-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Deliverance1985

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
first of all get the hughes engine plenum repair and do that. next change out both your oxygen sensors and dont get bosch. While your in the plenum swap out water pump and throw in a double roller timing chain. Im running a standard replacement distrubutor cap and rotor and cables from oreilly but they are brass contacts, haven't had an issue with the bosch plugs either. As far as the battery goes i got the biggest one at costco it was like 950 CCA and I made it fit, might as well utilize the extra juice if you can fit it. for the fuel pump get a delphi, id go ahead and replace it if its stock. clean out the throttle body and clean the IAC bay as well as the sensor or replace it if its as black as the devils bhole. If your cats still alive, then id leave it otherwise get a magnaflow high flow cat in there. I run borla headers and a magnaflow cat back and it sounds great. stock fan should be fine but the electric is obviously better, just make sure you at least get a 180 stat in there. the stock airbox is fine, id probably just throw a k&n in there and leave it alone, otherwise just get a cold air intake, but they don't help much without a tune. tuning wise, if your into it, get a hemifever and tune to 91 and above octane and start running it on the reg, biggest improvement in performance ive seen came from buying that tuner bar none. After that she should be running great. Roller rockers, airgaps, cams and other mods will help but arent really necessary unless you've got the cash to back it up. your sitting pretty with the nv4500. id probably give her a good flush tho since she probably hasnt had many flushes in her life haha. and of course make sure you use 10w30 synthetic for oil, probably wont need to change it whole trip if your level doesn't drop after the first hump of the trip. Fixing the plenum will alleviate oil and coolant loss that is if the plenum is blown which it most likely is...
bingo thanks for the input, ill rebudget that to my list. but ill do that tommorrow its late and im putting my boys down for the night then i got the dog to take care of. i looked upa f4 tuner but ill check into what you just mentioned. sounds good.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran

no problem guy

Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Deliverance1985

so far list of items i looked, up

Performance parts. parts research (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88549)
Dodge Flashpaq 3842 $349.00 http://superchips.com/products/dodge...paq-3842-3842/
HUG 5409 HUGHES / EDELBROCK FI AIRGAP KIT $599.99 http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...r&partid=24773
e3.48 diamond spark plug 6.09 ea x8 $48.72 http://shop.e3sparkplugs.com/automot...&ext=undefined
NGK spark plug $??.?? X8 $- http://www.partcat.com/ngk
NGK wire set $??.?? $- see above website
Tension pulley $-
serpentine belt $-
180 thermo? Best for cold air intake? $8.25 http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...r&partid=23359
195 thermo? $9.95 http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...r&partid=26274
water pump $34.00 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
water pump by-pass hose $9.00 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
radiator hose $13.00 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
water pump stud kit $8.00 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
catalitic convertor $356.00 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
exahust system kit $209.00 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain $60.00 http://www.summitracing.com/search/p.../double-roller
fuel pump
PCV vale
cap with brass inserts
gasket set without sleeve for balancer for double roller
timing chain tensioner mopar $40.00 http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performa...02310/10002/-1
recommended upgrades

Guess I am going to look around and see which 180 T is preferred by brand if i cant seem to decide ill go with hughes 180 t and order that the last week of January. O plus I got a recall on my tires from discount tires. looks like I am getting 4 brand new tires at no charge. sweet. Let the parts ordering one a month or so begin. and no like I suggest I order them all and then put them on, this way i only gotta spend one day with the engine and exhaust system. thanks for every ones help. also i saw a 1.7 rocker and 1.6 rocker set on summit with new seals and every thing, as long as it has the double chain i figured for a thousand bucks, this sounds good right?

Last edited by Deliverance1985; 12-30-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 AM
zildjian3707
Veteran

looks good man, i do recommend this tuner though over all

http://www.hemifevertuning.com/SCT_p/sct-can.htm

Old 12-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Khris1994
Veteran

Go with these plugs. E3 get eaten up in these trucks I've heard.
spark plug
Also if you can find summit racing 8mm wires you would be good
wires

Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I've made the trip from WA to TX four times. Actually made over a dozen cross country trips. Currently in MN for Christmas from Everett. Heading back on Monday. These trucks just go and go. I would just do some basic maintenance and hit the road. My truck burned about 1/2 qt of oil in 1660 miles one way. Got 14mpg average. Truck now has 192k all stock except clutch. If you need specifics or any help next summer, I'm in Everett. I've done a lot of upgrades over the years and some of the things you listed you won't need. Too much to type right now but hit me up if you need anything.