2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Ram transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:29 AM
Instagib
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ram transmission trouble

hello and thanks for reading.

So here is my story on my automatic 99 ram 1500 Rear wheel drive. About a week ago i was driving to work stopped at a stop sign and my truck would shift out of first while in D but if i put it into 2nd manual it shifts from 1st to 2nd fine. So i did alot of research and reading on possible causes that ranged from solenoids all the way to the Throttle control cable. I called a certified transmission mechanic that is a friend with my dad and he said from what i described to him he thought it was the bands that needed to be adjusted. so i set out on the task the mechanic told me was the most likely culprit. I dropped the trans pan drained the transmission and started working on the Bands both were fairly loose based on what the service manual said they should be so i torqued them to the proper in/lb replaced the filter and the gasket put the pan back on and torqued the pan bolts refilled the transmission. took it on a test drive and still the same problem no up shifting in D but manual 2 still works (a bit smoother than before the bands adjustment). One thing i noticed during my test drives if i switched the transmission into Neutral then back to D sometimes it would shift from 1st to 2nd gear other wise D will NOT shift out of first no matter how high the rpm gets. So i am asking the community if anyone else has experienced this issue or something similar and can offer any advice. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

On the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back, there is an 8 pin connector, that goes down into the top of the valve body. Unplug it.

Now, go for a test drive, keeping in mind that you will have ZERO automatic functions of your trans. You will have to shift manually. Make it a short drive..... just enough to verify that the trans shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to. If it does, then it's just a matter of replacing the governor pressure sensor/solenoid set, and you should be good to go. (get the borg warner heavy duty flavors. They are for sale just about everywhere, including ebay, and amazon.....)

If it doesn't, then you have bigger fish to fry, and should probably start saving your pennies for a rebuild.

Welcome to DF!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Instagib

thank you for the welcome.

so i got home and i looked on the trans and all there is, is a 3pin plug on what i assume is the shift position sensor on the side of the transmission next to the cooler lines i couldnt find any 8 pin connectors at all. further back there is a 2 pin connector and then a 4pin on top of the transmission as well as one more 4pin on the passenger side of the trans. i went ahead and unplugged the 3 pin assuming its the same part (going into the valve body) and when i unplug it the truck will not even turn over so i am guessing it is a safty switch that tells the ECM what gear selection the truck is in. if you would like me to take pictures of my transmission where i found these plugs please let me know and i will.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, post up some pics please.

The 8 pin connector should go straight down into the top of the trans case, where it widens out for the valve body.

If you look at the pic in this ad, it's the black connector.

pic.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Instagib

i found the connector it was hard to spot on my transmission. be back in a few after the test drive.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Instagib

test drive over and it was amazing. i started in 1 at 2500rpm i switched to 2 and it didnt even hesitate. then i switched to D and it shifted into 3rd with no problem at all. I cant tell it to shift into 4th but i think the 1,2,3 shifting proves your test.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. Sure is. You won't get 4th, or O/D, as those are both controlled by solenoids, which are disconnected for the test.

You just need to drop the pan, and replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Get the BW heavy duty units off EBay. It's around 100 bucks for the set.

Also pick up six quarts of ATF +4, and a gasket/filter.... Might just as well change it while you are in there.

Might consider adjusting the bands as well...... not too bad of a process, but, you need an INC/pound torque wrench.

In any event, that should solve your trans issues.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Instagib

funny thing is i finished adjusting the bands 2 days ago so tbh i think ill leave the 2 day old filter in and just go buy another filter gasket set just for the gasket cause i doubt the one i put in 2 days ago would be any good after tourqing down the pan bolts

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it was the rubber/viton gasket, you can re-use it. If it was cork, I wouldn't.....

Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Instagib

it was the rubber one, ill order those parts and ill update you when im done

Quick Reply: 99 Ram transmission trouble