2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seat belt Solenoid Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016 | 03:52 PM
schmidtp
|
Veteran
Default Seat belt Solenoid Clicking

Hi All,

Searched the web but most people with seat belt problems are just having them get stuck fully retracted. However, for me whenever I am applying the brakes I hear clicking within the seat belt re-tractor which I am assuming is the solenoid. What can I do to fix this because its extremely annoying?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 01-28-2016 | 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Its supposed to do that, but, really shouldn't be audible...... might just have a look at it, and see if anything obvious presents itself. Might just need cleaned/lubed a bit.

Old 01-29-2016 | 11:49 AM
schmidtp
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Its supposed to do that, but, really shouldn't be audible...... might just have a look at it, and see if anything obvious presents itself. Might just need cleaned/lubed a bit.
When I apply the brakes it will click over and over while I am braking, not just once when I apply. Looks like I'll be tearing the seat fabric off to look.

Old 01-29-2016 | 01:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the connectors, and any possible grounds under the seat.

Old 02-01-2016 | 08:43 PM
schmidtp
|
Veteran

Found the issue, its within the module under the seat. I tore it apart and there is a little metal ball that must connect and disconnect the circuit in case of a rollover. I am guessing the spring or whatever keeps it not so loose got wore out and the ball was just bouncing around locking and unlocking the seat belts constantly in my truck. I taped the ball to the unlock position and the seat belts still lock if tugged quickly and is within the white box pictured below. Use this method to fix clicking solenoids under your OWN risk since this is tampering with the safety controls of the vehicle.

Name:  20160201_190409.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  121.0 KB

Quick Reply: Seat belt Solenoid Clicking