2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No overdrive 46re

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:04 PM
dtope
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unplug the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, it's about halfway back. Go for a drive. Keep in mind, you will have ZERO automatic function of the trans. It will stay in the gear you tell it to. So, start in first, slowly accelerate, and make sure you get three gears. You won't get O/D, or TCC engage, as those are electrically controlled. If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then you just have an electronic problem, and more'n likely replacing the governor pressure sensor/solenoid set will fix it.

But first.... Verify that you ARE getting 12 volts TO the trans.
Yes I can manually shift through the gears. This happened a couple weeks ago and I put all new sensors solenoids, everthing and it was working for a couple days it just didn't feel like it was locking up in overdrive, but now we are back to the way it was before.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 PM
dtope
Amateur

Originally Posted by dtope
Yes I can manually shift through the gears. This happened a couple weeks ago and I put all new sensors solenoids, everthing and it was working for a couple days it just didn't feel like it was locking up in overdrive, but now we are back to the way it was before.
How do I verify there is 12 volts

Old 03-06-2016, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

One of the wires to the trans will have 12 volts on it. (ignition on.) I think the fat red one. VOM, or test light will work.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out my #46 post for wiring diagram.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:33 PM
Branden Joseph Ward

In 2000, some of the sensors changed, though the wiring harness did not. If you put in sensors for an 01, then something is strange, if you put in sensors for a 98, then it simply isn't going to work the way you want. I *think* the mounts for the governor pressure sensor/solenoid also changed at the same time, but, rumor has it, you can just grab the right stuff from the dead trans, and transplant them into the new one. I don't *think* you need to change the whole valve body, but, not 100% sure on that.

Is the trans temp light coming on as well?

hu there I’m having this exact problem with my 99 I put a trans in from a 01. So what I’m seeing is that if I put bracket and sensor/seleenoid from the 99 in it should fix my issue?

Old 03-24-2021, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Branden Joseph Ward
hu there I’m having this exact problem with my 99 I put a trans in from a 01. So what I’m seeing is that if I put bracket and sensor/seleenoid from the 99 in it should fix my issue?
Yup.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:02 PM
IndyAxe

Yup.
Even for automatics?

Old 03-24-2022, 05:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by IndyAxe
Even for automatics?
Not sure what you are going for here. Manual trans doesn't have any of this stuff.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:46 PM
IndyAxe

Not sure what you are going for here. Manual trans doesn't have any of this stuff.
Im having somewhat similar issues. Just got my transmission (46RE) auto back from the shop. 1 is good. The shift from 2nd to 3rd feels like it slips. But almost feels like it skips 2nd. Also there’s no overdrive. Now the guy i had rebuilt it said I needed new drums because mine were done for. So I bought a parts transmission and brought it to him. Was the solenoids be the problem?

Old 03-24-2022, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hard to tell. However, if he *just* rebuilt it, he didn't notice the drums were bad when he had it apart?? Hope he isn't charging you to rebuild it again....

Quick Reply: No overdrive 46re