2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serpentine belt help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016 | 10:58 PM
Erik P
|
Rookie
Default Serpentine belt help!

So lately I've been having trouble with serpentine belts..
A few weeks ago, I tore apart the motor to fix the plenum gasket, and a bunch of other stuff (water pump too) and it went great.

Couple weeks later, I replaced my steering box with a Redhead steering gear, along with power steering pump. Hooked it all up, and it was awesome. The next day I was driving in town, and the truck started making funny noised and I lost power steering. Obviously lost a fan belt. The belt shredded the outer rib off in places and had some damaged, so I bought a replacement. Fast forward a week later and same noise again driving in town, pull over and check the belt. Sure enough it was doing the same thing. Shredding off the outer rib! Bought yet another fan belt, and also replaced the idler pulley as it wobbled bad.

After driving to a from work (roughly 4 minutes each way) 3 times, I can see where is wearing right on the edge again! I don't understand it. I checked every single pulley, aside from the alternator making a bit of noise (no movement at all) every pulley and bearing is quiet, smooth, and has no play.

I checked the PS pump pulley as I did remove it (with the proper tool) but I installed it flush to the shaft like I was supposed to, and it is aligned. I have checked the PS pulley countless times, cannot find any slight bit of bad alignment, bent rib, or damage. Same goes for all the pulleys...

Any one have any guess why the fan belt is wearing in the same spot? Any ideas why the (closest to the front) 3/16" keeps separating? Fan belts are getting expensive..
Thanks!

2001 Ram 1500 Off-Road, 5.9L magnum. 4x4 Auto w/ AC. QCSB

Old 02-27-2016 | 11:43 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

I'm curious about this also. I quit buying belts for the same reason. It has held up for a couple years now, but I still can't find what is off kilter.

Old 02-28-2016 | 12:21 AM
Erik P
|
Rookie

I cut the remaining edge off the new last belt and am keeping it as a spare for now.. the rest of the belt looks great. Is there an issue running one rib too short belt?

Old 02-28-2016 | 07:37 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Maybe the ps pulley is too deep, and the edge of the belt is running against the edge of the pulley?

Old 02-28-2016 | 10:46 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Follow the path of the belt around the front of the engine. You should be able to see if and where it is rubbing. Don't forget, it could also be rubbing on the front (forward edge) of any given pulley.

Old 02-28-2016 | 10:48 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Did you check out the crank pulley? Did you go into the timing cover to change the timing chain or leave it alone?

Old 02-28-2016 | 01:50 PM
Erik P
|
Rookie

I can't see any alignment problems. I did do the timing chain, and the crank pulley looks to be fine. Wouldn't something have to be really messed up to shred part of a belt in a little over a week?

Old 02-28-2016 | 02:34 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

if you look at it from the side can you see it sliding back and forth on a pulley anywhere?

Old 02-28-2016 | 03:12 PM
Erik P
|
Rookie

You mean the belt moving when it's running? In that case nope. Belt doesn't move. Seems to run very true. Belt lays flat on all the pulleys too, and doesn't hug the edge of any of the idler pullers either.

Old 02-28-2016 | 03:47 PM
Erik P
|
Rookie

Obviously the PS pulley is suspect. Anyone have any good ways to measure pulley alignment? Or is using a straight edge the only way?

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt help!