2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering 2001 Ram 2500

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering 2001 Ram 2500

What should I be testing to locate this problem?
First though consider there are no RAM mechanics within a days travel from where I live.
The problem started more than a year ago.
The steering would stick making left hand turns "only"
I was also dealing with a brake issue. I eventually replace the hydraulic assist for the brake issue. I thought this improved steering but that was not the case.
My attention was directed to the ball joints. I learned that the upper joints had grease nipples! I found a mechanic that had a grease gun and greased both left and right upper ball joints. This seemed to have been beneficial. It almost seemed like I had licked the problem, but not so
The problem was/is most evident at a stop to turn or parking et cetera.
Then about 3 weeks ago driving up from sea level to 5000 feet on a winding road the steering on "right" hand turn froze up. I managed to just get through this right hand S turn. I was quite certain I never had this happen on a right hand turn before. Something else was going on that I didn't realize until several miles later when the pickup started to shimmy. Ha, I had a flat in the brand new drivers side front tire. Just prior to it giving out I noticed a slight pull to the left. It amazed me how long it took the tire to give me a real indication of its condition. Speeds are limited to about 45 mph at most on the roads I travel. The tire was ruined by this time.
SINCE this flat the steering problem NOW is only on making right hand turns.
Another interesting fact is that the loss of steering is only after I run the pickup for approximately 30 or 40 minutes. A short run to town and back which is about 8 miles total and the steering issue doesn't occur.

I have new upper and lower ball joints for both front wheels, it's just a matter of finding a mechanic here who can do the job. But at this point I'm not so sure that is my problem.

There is no play to speak of in the steering. I don't detect if I jack up a wheel of any play in it.
I thought I replaced the hydraulic pump. I know it's terrible not knowing for sure at this point. This is a little noise from it. How do I know for sure this is the basis of my problem. Then of course there is the steering gear box and tie rods.

I bought this pickup used 3 1/2 years ago and shipped it to Panama where I live. I needed a 4x4 to get up a rough cut road to a cabin I built. I installed a stabilizer on the steering that took out play that I discovered driving from a dealer in MN to NJ to ship the pickup.

Suggestions?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Flush the power steering system first..... Keep in mind, the pump can move a LOT of fluid REALLY fast....... So, having a helper is definitely best. See if that doesn't improve it's attitude.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right next order of business will be to get the steering hydraulics flushed.
Need to find a axel center lift or a setup to get both wheels off the ground.
thanks

Old 03-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Doesn't the 2001's have a rack and pinion set up?

Old 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Doesn't the 2001's have a rack and pinion set up?
If you read the build sheets, ALL of them do.... However, I am unsure where dodge got that from. All of them I have seen are recirculating ball..... you know, the old school design.

Quick Reply: Power Steering 2001 Ram 2500