2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How Do I Test OD Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:30 PM
White Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Test OD Solenoid?

Hi everybody, I need some big help. My truck is throwing a P0753 confirmed code at me. I dropped the pan, removed the solenoid, and metered it. It's metering fine at 30.5 ohms. Next I tried to test it using methods found on all-knowing YouTube. I put 12V to the unit but nothing clicked. I got a little spark but that's it. Is there a different method I should be using to test my OD solenoid?

I had been leaking some ATF for a little while but when I checked the fluid it read way too high. However this was before I knew that you need the engine running before checking that fluid.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time guys. This is my first post so I'll head over to the noob section and introduce myself. Cheers.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Welcome to DF! (again. )

Check trans fluid with engine running, fully warmed, and in neutral. Otherwise, you get an artificially high reading.

PCM provides ground for the O/D solenoid, so, if you don't provide a complete circuit for it, nothing will happen. Question becomes: Do you actually GET overdrive? My truck whines about the O/D solenoid every once in a while, but, it works just fine. Sometimes I think it is just slow to engage, and that annoys the PCM.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:40 PM
White Dodge

Thanks for the response. My truck is in limp mode, only 3rd and reverse work properly. I hooked up power and ground from my battery (and used my wife's car battery just to be sure) but still just a tiny spark.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try resetting the computer, (disconnect the battery for a about 10 minutes.) see if the trans figures anything out.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 AM
White Dodge

Ok thanks but the problem with that is I already have the pan dropped and the solenoid assembly removed. I'd like to definitively test the solenoid before I put it back in and refill the trans.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Splice a wire into the ground circuit for the O/D solenoid, with a switch. Go for a drive, and manually engage O/D. (trans already in third, speed over 45 mph) See if it shifts. If it doesn't, solenoid is likely bad.

Quick Reply: How Do I Test OD Solenoid?