2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random sputter, miss, backfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Try tugging, pulling, twisting the wire harnesses while the engine is running, see if THAT makes any difference.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:28 PM
98beater
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already did. Nothing changed. I pulled on every wire and vacuum line i could touch, and it did nothing.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Wonder if it is something further back getting wet, and failing. Perhaps the fuel tank connector?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:50 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think you may need to do some data logging, while the problem is presenting itself, to find out what's going on. One would think, if it was a "wet" problem, spraying it with the hose while running would most certainly make it act up. The fact that it didn't is just bizarre.
It reminds Me of what Our Ram was doing, except for the part a New Distibuter Cap, Plugs-N-wires cured it.

She's still a moody teenaged B*tch with a mildly noisy alternator, and a battery with a 10/10 sticker that don't have enough cold crank amps left and don't like the Ny, state Winters.

Thing is I had buttered the bottom seat of the cap with some Hi temp RTV and let it cure for a couple of days before putting it on.
--------------------------------------
At the same time it also reminds me of a taillight issue we were having where high humidity or outright wet weather caused the rear left taillight and blinked not to work......after Multimeter checking it repeatedly and giving up on that I started checking pins in the connector ends.
on one end, the COM ground pin pulled out in a puff of green/grey dust.
I bypassed the plug with some soldering and heatshrink tubing, after cutting back to solid wire on the socket end, and making a bald spot for a intersecting splice "T" in the main-sub harness. Problem Solved, no more intermittent light functionality.

Quick Reply: Random sputter, miss, backfire