2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM
RamSport9859
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re transmission

My 1998 ram sport 5.9 magnum came with a 46re transmission that lost reverse so I purchased a transmission with tcase from a 97 sport with the 5.9 magnum. Is there any difference in the trans? 97 vs 98? Is it all the same internally? Any info would be much appreciated!

Old 03-24-2016, 04:56 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Originally Posted by RamSport9859
My 1998 ram sport 5.9 magnum came with a 46re transmission that lost reverse so I purchased a transmission with tcase from a 97 sport with the 5.9 magnum. Is there any difference in the trans? 97 vs 98? Is it all the same internally? Any info would be much appreciated!
Hey man, I am almost positive that you have to switch the internal wiring harness and that would be all. I am almost positive that the pressure gov sensor is same, I think they changed that in 97. It's actually super easy. I did it in my 01 46re to make it work in my 98 pickup. Do you have the 98.5? You can tell by if you have the plastic side mirrors and not the old style chrome ones (unless they were changed without you knowing prior)

Old 03-24-2016, 05:05 PM
RamSport9859
Amateur

Mine are the plastic ones.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:15 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

96-99 the only thing needing changing on the trans side is the neutral safety switch. 98+ if I remember right moved the speed sensor to the rear axle. I know 2000+ for a fact uses the axle sensor vs tcase. Otherwise no problem.

Governor changed to the plastic transducer instead of the little bronze looking sensor with the 2000 model year

Old 03-24-2016, 05:17 PM
RamSport9859
Amateur

Where exactly would the neutral safety switch be at exactly?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

driverside of the case above the pan

Old 03-24-2016, 05:36 PM
RamSport9859
Amateur

So they just need to be switched and bam I have a working transmission. Hmm didn't think it would be that simple. Thanks a lot really appreciate some help and knowledge

Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dapepper9
96-99 the only thing needing changing on the trans side is the neutral safety switch. 98+ if I remember right moved the speed sensor to the rear axle. I know 2000+ for a fact uses the axle sensor vs tcase. Otherwise no problem.

Governor changed to the plastic transducer instead of the little bronze looking sensor with the 2000 model year
NEGATIVE, I have a 2000 (see sig) the speed sensor is in the lower Drivers of the tailhouse in direct align with the parking lock hub or WTF you want to call that particular clutched drum where the Pawl locks into the outside of. I know because I had to slide mine off of the jack to remove it from under the truck, forgot I pulled the bushing mount plate she completely crushed/snapped off the speed sensor plug end. As for the starter safety switch, you either have a 2 pin or 3 pin plug, and is externally replaceable on the 46RE from the driver's side just a bit above/behind the shift linkage attached to the rooster comb.

Even as a mid year production line Y2K truck my AT tailhouse is clearly marked as 9/1999
If it were a 46RH you would be more correct from what I understand, but I just went through 3 month of 46RE (A518) Hell.......so honestly the loss of reverse don't sound like anything major worth replacing the whole tranny over unless it has a list of problems that include busted or cracked case.
It in fact sounds like a typical but extreme form of the standard issue 46RE rear band servo failure.

Not only that Ramsport, it might encourage you to rebuild versus replace because for that servo to be replaced the AT can stay in the truck, just the VB needs to be removed from your way to protect it more than anything.

If you want to SEE what I am refering to, Go HERE on Dodgeforums, to See what STARTED simple, and ended in a 46RE more than capable again, and better than New

Last edited by Double Oh Dodge; 03-24-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 PM
RamSport9859
Amateur

So the transmission that was pulled from a 97 is actually different then the one that originally came out of my 98? I did notice that the two sensors were a bit different so I switched them. I mean I don't care much for reverse and I did actually plan to have the old transmission rebuilt. Not too sure on price as I have no clue where a transmission shop is near me. I live in perry Michigan. I don't need a super powerful transmission, but would like it a bit more then stock just in case I do plan on doing more mods to the engine. I don't have much knowledge on transmission

Old 03-24-2016, 09:18 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamSport9859
So the transmission that was pulled from a 97 is actually different then the one that originally came out of my 98? I did notice that the two sensors were a bit different so I switched them. I mean I don't care much for reverse and I did actually plan to have the old transmission rebuilt. Not too sure on price as I have no clue where a transmission shop is near me. I live in perry Michigan. I don't need a super powerful transmission, but would like it a bit more then stock just in case I do plan on doing more mods to the engine. I don't have much knowledge on transmission
Most, reman 46RE's will run you out for $1800 +/- excluding freight and delivery.
Most Trans shops are going to charge you around $2,100 +/- on average.

If you favor keeping costs down with DYI repair work,
You can get a total overhaul kit, Shift Gov solenoid and transducer, that are known to go bad, a pair of new cooler lines, New Pan, Billet Steel reverse/ Low Servo Upgrade Piston replacement (if you looked at the link you can see why that is good to replace even if not already broken)
as well as get the Cooler line fittings, and enough ATF to fill 'er back up to spec for less than half the cost of buying a reman.

Reverse is important to have working because it's components are shared components that are functionally shared with one of the forward gears.

I prefer Ebay personally, for the simple reason that 9/10 I can get anything that Autozone,Advanced,or Napa sell, for less cost but in equal or greater quality.
I only mention ebay because this feels more like a budget rebuild of necesity than a case of "I broke my toy" and most here on DF.com seem to prefer other sources.
It has been in my recent experience as a New member One or more others May attempt to sway You towards a Performance transmission one has to pay more than the curb value of our 2nd Gen Rams to purchase, because it is their preference.

Quick Reply: 46re transmission