2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

47RE inconsistent shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:00 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 47RE inconsistent shifts

I did a solenoid service kit on my '99 Ram 2500 which fixed the issue of having to let off the gas to shift from 1st to 2nd, but I've noticed that the shifting doesn't always want to be the same as far as the RPM range is concerned. It can be an early shift that kicks a little harder, a later shift that is softer, a later shift that is harder........
EDIT: non of the shifts are abnormally harsh, late or early. the temperature doesn't seem to make any difference on shifting behavior either

The truck went a while without being fixed and drove with the lift out of the throttle to shift deal going on and I don't know how long the previous owner drove it like this.

All the linkage is ajdusted and operating normal as far as I can tell. I'm wondering if something in the transmission might have gotten kinda sticky from not shifting correctly for so long and if I could try some additive in it to maybe free things up. This is my thought on what may be the problem, but I'm no transmission expert. I've also heard a lot of mixed reviews on additives....especially putting them in a Dodge.

Any thoughts? I don't know if the shifting like this may lead to bigger problems down the road or is it just something I can live with, without being a big deal on the transmission.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-21-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

Don't try any additives. They only cause trouble, not solve it.

Check the TV cable. Make sure it is adjusted properly, and moves freely, no kinks, or binding.

Make sure fluid level is correct. (check in neutral, can't check in park.)

Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You stated it was down for awhile,Most often the fluid gets moister in it.A full service is probable needed . a good tranny shop or dealer for inspection.Fluid is suppost to be changed every 28000-30000 miles along with band adjustment and filter.Just a thought.It willcost a few dollars,but if you use the truck it will be worth the cost.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:19 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I will look over the adjustments again, but everything looked O.K. when I did the kit. I did adjust the bands ( the rear one is fun) and put new filter that came with the kit. You said they can get moisture in them and have a shop look at it. Do you mean maybe have them do a flush on it? I've heard before that sometimes those aren't good too. Too much new of fluid at once or something( if that is not true, I'd like to know the truth about it.). I guess its better then moister though. It may be a good idea to have them at least hook it up and see what everything is reading.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-22-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IN the garage you don't always have the tools and gages to check everything.And the fluid ATF 4 is the best for these tranny;s.It's worth the cost at the shop and get another 150k mi out of the tranny ,with reg service at 30000 mi.

Quick Reply: 47RE inconsistent shifts