2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

18 "hydro-lock"??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM
dubyajayes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 "hydro-lock"??

I'm working on a 2001 ram 1500, 318. Had a blown head gasket, got overheated. I replaced the gasket, after running a bit the engine started skipping and running rough. I replaced the plugs, wires, etc, still ran bad. Noticed the radiator hoses would "collapse", had some moisture out the tail pipe. Someone told me I probably have a "hydro-lock" issue. Never heard of it. Need help

Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some moisture out of the tail pipe is normal upon startup. As the muffler cools, when shut off, it draws in cooler, moist air, then it condenses inside the muffler. Unless your intake and/or engine was submerged in water, you are most probably NOT hydro-locked. Your engine would not even turn over (essentially, your cylinders are full of water. Water does not like to be compressed). If you're still worried about it being "locked" pull all of the plugs and crank it over a few times to get the water out.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the radiator hose is collapsing when the engine cools, it's almost always a faulty radiator cap causing it. I once saw a guy do it to himself by plugging the radiator overflow vent with a bolt rammed into the hose in place of the bottle. But it's probably just the cap.

A small amount of water out of the tailpipe after a head gasket failure is repaired is normal, and so long as it decreases over time is nothing to worry about.

If it was the passenger side head that you replaced, you may have inadvertently whacked the crank position sensor. Knocking them around tends to make them fail. It wouldn't hurt to get a scanner hooked to the thing before throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: 18 "hydro-lock"??